Southern Hawker and more.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I was about to start trimming the hedge when I saw this Southern Hawker land in the hedge. Rushed inside to get the camera and luckily it was still there when I came back.
Background is not that good, but it does show that the seemingly bright colours are an effective camouflage.

3.Dumb and dumber :D Two goofy looking shield bugs.

4. A Buff Footman moth.

That looks like it has just got to be my fave Dragon Mike... (y) ... very good images and the Shield Bugs are pretty damn fine specimens too... :D...

...not so sure about that old buff brown moth thing in the last though... :cautious:

:p

Not much you can do about it I admit, but a green Dfly on a green leaf makes it damn hard to see (but that's the point init :thinking:), still a splendid set of shots.
As Ven says the last hmmm, IMHO it's far too shallow on the DOF

An excellent set............and a good point made about the camouflage for the Dragon(y)(y)

My favourite is the Shield Bugs..........great little things(y)

Shame about the background as the clarity is very good, I have a real love of Dragonflies, they have such interesting faces (some very cartoon like) very hard to catch them too, been trying with this fellow for the last 2 months, best I can get :(

All with a zoom, cant get close enough with the Macro :(

3669678752_9a97fd019c_o.jpg

3849918766_82a59312a8_o.jpg

3770783459_8e752387e7.jpg

3770778325_8621ea562d.jpg

Thanks everyone.

The moth is a bit of a marmite shot, I liked the contrast of the yellow head with the white/grey body. Aperture was f/14 so DOF is as deep as it is going to get at 1:1 without diffraction.

kerniki - some nice shots there. The first is a female Emperor laying eggs and the others are Black tailed skimmers. I usually use my Sigma 70-300 APO for dragons, I was lucky to get close with the Tamron 90mm macro this time.

Great set, I especially like #3 (y) and the 'dumb & dumber' gag to go with it :LOL:

Back