Southport Airshow..

I live within sight of it. Get a lot of stuff at the nearby aerodrome.
Traffic is likely to be horrendous so allow plenty of time.
Not sure if I'm going yet. A lot fly right over our house.....for free!

I'm there on Saturday. May be fewer people with there being some sort of footy match on at the same time :D

I'm hobnobbing it in the Lancaster Lounge and will be shooting from the pier, having stuffed my face with canapés and drunk my fill of Prosecco :)

Which is the best car park.? I’d like to be on the beach, but looking at the event info, as I’m coming from the south, I won’t be able to get on it. I thought about the Lancaster lounge, is it worth it? As I’ve never been before I don’t know the lay of the land so to speak.

Which is the best car park.? I’d like to be on the beach, but looking at the event info, as I’m coming from the south, I won’t be able to get on it. I thought about the Lancaster lounge, is it worth it? As I’ve never been before I don’t know the lay of the land so to speak.

I usually park for free on a residential street about half a mile away, or on the big retail car park next to it (in front of the cinema I’m sure it’s 5 hours free). What gives you the impression you won’t get on? Should be fine if there early.

Never done the lounge so can’t comment on that, but I usually go down on the beach right up to the barrier and find a spot.

I wouldn't even think of driving in. I'd park somewhere to the south and take the Merseyrail train in. Easier, quicker and cheaper.

Lancaster Lounge on the pier is £75!!! Each.
There's a thought that using the pier as foreground gives "better" shots.

I usually park for free on a residential street about half a mile away, or on the big retail car park next to it (in front of the cinema I’m sure it’s 5 hours free). What gives you the impression you won’t get on? Should be fine if there early.

Never done the lounge so can’t comment on that, but I usually go down on the beach right up to the barrier and find a spot.

Just a heads up if you’re planning on going again Tom, they’ve started enforcing new rules on this car park. It’s free if you get your ticket validated at one of the restaurants etc on the Plaza however I think you can still pay if you wanted to use it. I can only imagine how busy it’ll be up there if the car park is even still open. I’ve not been to the air show for a couple of years but they had pedestrianised a lot of the front when I last went.

Parking away and walking may be the easiest for a quick getaway, one year I sat in the car for an hour before even moving in the car park. Took about 2 hours to get home and I only live 12 miles away :(

I wouldn't even think of driving in. I'd park somewhere to the south and take the Merseyrail train in. Easier, quicker and cheaper.

Lancaster Lounge on the pier is £75!!! Each.
There's a thought that using the pier as foreground gives "better" shots.

A few years ago, we queued from Edge Hill University but it's never seemed anywhere near as bad since. I usually go a hour before it starts and get a coffee etc, park on a street near the down centre and walk in.

Just a heads up if you’re planning on going again Tom, they’ve started enforcing new rules on this car park. It’s free if you get your ticket validated at one of the restaurants etc on the Plaza however I think you can still pay if you wanted to use it. I can only imagine how busy it’ll be up there if the car park is even still open. I’ve not been to the air show for a couple of years but they had pedestrianised a lot of the front when I last went.

Parking away and walking may be the easiest for a quick getaway, one year I sat in the car for an hour before even moving in the car park. Took about 2 hours to get home and I only live 12 miles away :(

That's good to know, thanks! Yeah a lot of the front it pedestrianised, I cycled there last year and that worked out quite well!

Jason, I don't know if the Lancaster Lounge is going to be worth it, as it will be my first time to this airshow. I weighed up the included parking close by, getting fed and watered, having a spot on the pier not open to the public and then 4 hours of flying entertainment and thought b*****ks, I'll give it a whirl

Southport Air Show road closures

Thursday

• Marine Drive (between the Pleasureland roundabout and Marine Parade roundabout) – 12 noon Thursday 5th July to midnight Monday 9th July

Friday

• Coastal Road (from the Weld Road roundabout to Pleasureland roundabout) – 5pm to approximately 10pm/site clearance
  • Marine Drive - (from the Fairways roundabout to Marine Parade roundabout) – 5pm to approximately 10pm/site clearance
  • Marine Drive - (from the Esplanade/Victoria Park roundabout to Pleasureland roundabout) – 5pm to approximately 10pm/site clearance
  • Esplanade – (from Esplanade/Victoria Park roundabout to Weld Road roundabout) - 5pm to approximately 10pm/site clearance

Saturday & Sunday

• Coastal Road (from the Weld Road roundabout to Pleasureland roundabout) – 7am to approximately 7pm/site clearance
  • Marine Drive - (from the Fairways roundabout to Marine Parade roundabout) – 7am to approximately 7pm/site clearance
  • Marine Drive - (from the Esplanade/Victoria Park roundabout to Pleasureland roundabout) – 7am to approximately 7pm/site clearance
  • Esplanade – (from Esplanade/Victoria Park roundabout to Weld Road roundabout) - 7am to approximately 7pm/site clearance

Parking advice

The Park & Ride service will not be in operation on Saturday and Sunday, though beach Parking is available on both of those days. On Friday the Little Esplanade Car Park will be open for Air Show traffic.

Advice to motorists - diversions

AA signs have been erected to guide motorists to the show, while the council has issued the following advice on parking:

“If you are travelling in from the North you will be directed to Princes Park on Friday and the Beach/Marine Drive on Saturday and Sunday.

G
ood luck with all that, once you've managed to get through the tail backs. Allow plenty of time, and I mean plenty. They are expecting over 100,000 folk to attend and the raod system will struggle to cope. A couple of years ago they had 15 mile tailbacks. Some folk only got to the show in time to come home.

I’m not going this year. Traffic generally seems to be calming down in the years since the two Lancaster’s and the Vulcan were appearing. I only went for an hour or so last year (drive from Manchester).

Doesn’t seem much meat in the programme to be honest, but I am comparing that to RIAT, where I will be next week. It is pretty much the only airshow in the region so if you like it, go for it. The traffic is mostly well managed, but the sheer volume can eat into your day.

The official position is that tickets can be bought on the day. But there will be long queues.
It's years since I went to the official site. If I go, I now go into the sand dunes just on the edge of the closed off area. Still get all the action.

There have been all sorts flying over our house this afternoon. I might nip down to the aerodrome after tea to see what's in.

Yes. They are flying at 19.30 followed by BBMF. Then all sorts of display type things. I'll see if I can find the schedule.

Here you are, assuming they stick to it.

Friday schedule

6.30pm: Gates open

7.30pm: The Red Arrows

8pm: Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

8.20pm: The Blades

8.37pm: Fireflies Aerobatic Team

9.15pm: The Tigers Free Fall Team

9.35pm: P-51 Mustang

9.50pm: OTTO The Helicopter

Saturday schedule
10am: Gates open

1pm: Tiger Army Parachute Team

1.19pm: OTTO The Helicopter and Piper Cub

1.29pm: Red Bull Matadors

1.43pm: Aerosuperbatics Wingwalkers

2pm: Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

2.17pm: Strikemaster

2.29pm: OV-10 Bronco

2.39pm: The Blades

2.56pm: P-51 Mustang

3.08pm: Fireflies Aerobatic Team

3.20pm: Tutor

3.31pm: MiG-15

3.39pm: MiG-15 & Vampire Pair with Beach Explosions

3.44pm: De Havilland Vampire Pair

3.53pm: CAP232 Pair

4.07pm: Bristol Blenheim

4.17pm: Spitfire Pair

Sunday schedule
10am: Gates open

1pm: Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

1.19pm: OTTO The Helicopter and Piper Cub

1.29pm: CAO 232 Pair

1.43pm: Red Bull Matadors Aerobatic Team

1.57pm: P-51 Mustang

2.09pm: Tutor

2.20pm: Avro Anson

2.30pm: MiG-15

2.38pm: MiG-15 & Vampire Pair with Beach Explosions

2.43pm: De Havilland Vampire Pair

2.52pm: OV-10 Bronco

3.02pm: Fireflies Aerobatic Team

3.14pm: The Tigers Army Parachute Display Team

3.31pm: Strikemaster

3.43pm: The Blades

AHHH the Blenheim isn't flying Sunday... I missed that, bugger.

Do we think Saturday will be quiter than Sunday as the England game is on,? I finish work 09:30 0n sat and it usually takes 21/2 hours to Southport, will I be stuck in traffic.?

Red Arrows tonight only, what bad planning. They are what gets the big crowds. Wish I had gone tonight to be honest, got a cracking shot of the fireworks last year but my bloody camera is with Nikon for a clean, damn.

Could be quieter. Depends how many bought tickets before the match was fixed. A hard one to call.

Could be quieter. Depends how many bought tickets before the match was fixed. A hard one to call.

Think it will be, it’s a few months earlier than normal so a lot of people won’t know about it. Red arrows today only is another big negative. England tomorrow another so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was significantly quieter than normal.

Local Council have shot themselves in the foot. This is nothing more than a cynical money raising venture for them. It is normally held at end of September but they are desperate to have Red Arrows as they draw the crowds....and their money. But the only slot available was this weekend.

Unfortunately council forgot to check the sporting fixture list and with Wimbledon and the footy they may not make as much money as they would like.

Red Arrows are flying now. It's hard work trying to watch them from the bedroom window and watch the footy in the lounge!!!

How much damage can a squadron of Merlin engines do to a roof? They've just gone over here a lot lower than 400'. Don't think they've landed; think they are just showing off to their mates.
I'll check on my way out tomorrow.

But that noise! Nothing like it.

How much damage can a squadron of Merlin engines do to a roof? They've just gone over here a lot lower than 400'. Don't think they've landed; think they are just showing off to their mates.
I'll check on my way out tomorrow.

But that noise! Nothing like it.

Absolutely agree, there have been some great sounding internal combustion engines, but a low flying Merlin trumps all

SWMBO said this morning " fancy going to Southport we not been there for a while" :eek: me !sorry love not his weekend" there's 1 or 2 planes flying around ;)

Don't know how busy it was, but there ws a lot of traffic heading towards it at 11AM. I went the other way!!!
Not much on the aerodrome. Just the Utterley Butterlys and what looked like just one of the vampires.
The Lancaster flew over here again according to SWMBO.

sat in the garden this morning heard some noise this lot went passed seems they went over Crosby got them when they came passed on their way to Southport (only had the better half EOSM3 at hand )

IMG_0994 by

Back