East Anglia Southwold Pier

Edit My Images
Yes
Am I correct in thinking that for sunrise shots the north side of the pier offers more photogenic opportunities

A quick google of southwold pier at sunrise brings up a few images taken on both the north and south sides of the pier. The light on the pier at sunrise is going to change throughout the year. It's worth checking a sunrise calculator to workout where the sun will rise and the angle to the pier.

This is the one I use.

http://jekophoto.eu/tools/twilight-calculator-blue-hour-golden-hour/

Am I correct in thinking that for sunrise shots the north side of the pier offers more photogenic opportunities

Both sides can be excellent choices.

The North side is quite popular given the rocky groyne offers an interesting foreground. Likewise wooden groynes on the South side offer similar opportunities.
As far as sunrises are concerned it really depends on the time of year your shooting and the cloud conditions. In summer the sun rises to the left, on the winter to the right.
I was there on Saturday with virtually clear skies - the sun peering through the pier supports created lots of flare, so it didn't really work. No such problems on the South side however.
You'll really need to judge it when you arrive.

there's an ap called 'the photographers ephemeris' - load it onto your phone, it'll give you sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset and the directions - for any location :)
and it's free :)

Back