Review Soviet Photography

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Sovetskoe Foto was a photographic magazine from the Soviet Union from the 1920s to the 1990s. Copies can be downloaded from here - the text is in Cyrillic but the photos are in English.

Just had a quick scan through one copy, some really interesting stuff in there, thanks for posting the link.

I first came across this site a few years ago when using linux, I was particularly interested in some of the old CIA files from that time as i was stationed there in the months leading up to the revolution

copy and paste in the search button.

CIA ACTIVITIES IN IRAN
by Central Intelligence Agency

Last edited:
Fascinating reading some of it, you couldn't make it up.

It’s notable how that particular type of soft-focus glamour photography that was common in Amateur Photographer in 1980s suddenly starts appearing around 1990/91

Before then, there is a clear editorial bias towards photos of the military and people at work

Last edited:
The October 1927 cover photo is a well known 1924 portrait by Alexander Rodchenko of his mother

It’s notable how that particular type of soft-focus glamour photography that was common in Amateur Photographer in 1980s suddenly starts appearing around 1990/91

Before then, there is a clear editorial bias towards photos of the military and people at work

I guess they needed to sell magazines, and by that time they were able to publish that kind of image.

Back