Sparrow hawk with kill.

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
I went into a hide I use and saw the dead pigeon and from experience knew the killer would be back so just settled in and waited.

I was lucky in that I only had to wait for about 30mins when it came back and was there for 20mins.

She knew I was there as she kept looking up at me but was so intent on a feed to be concerned.

Sparrowhawk_with_kill_wtmk.jpg
[/IMG]

What a great capture, I love all birds of pray but the sparrow hawk has a special place in my heart at I am lucky to see them on a regular basis in my garden, though never when I have the camera to hand. :bang: :bang: :bang:

I remember a few years ago hearing an almighty bang out the front of my house so went out to investigate, as it turns out a Sparrow hawk had been on full attack mode chasing its pray and had not noticed the window on our porch and had gone into it as full speed.

It sat there looking sorry for itself for a couple of minutes then saw me watching it and buggered off quick style.

Matt
MWHCVT

I believe thats a Male Sparrowhawk as females are more brown and bigger than the males who tend to be greyish blue colour and usually smaller.

Very good shot, my usual encounter with Sparrowhawks is either on the floor feeding without a camera or shooting across the garden at speed!

I believe thats a Male Sparrowhawk as females are more brown and bigger than the males who tend to be greyish blue colour and usually smaller.

Very good shot, my usual encounter with Sparrowhawks is either on the floor feeding without a camera or shooting across the garden at speed!

It is a young 1st year female that was the only chick that survived from the resident female in the area. It's now getting to the stage where the mother wants it away but it doesn't want to go.

tis the females that are grey in colour and are larger than the males, so the hawk in question is in fact a female, also males are not generally capable of catching pidgeons. :)

Just to clear up some confusion the shot below is a male sparrowhawk that I took some time ago, it's not the best pic as it was taken through the glass as I knew if I opened the window he would be off.

Sparrow-hawk-Mw.jpg
[/IMG]

Just to clear up some confusion the shot below is a male sparrowhawk that I took some time ago, it's not the best pic as it was taken through the glass as I knew if I opened the window he would be off.

Sparrow-hawk-Mw.jpg
[/IMG]

Thats the first Sparrowhawk i have seen with such red eyes, they usually go from a light yellow to a deep orange.

Cracking shot Iain mate, i hope its one of the hides me and my son Barry Jnr (works in argos) use, we are starting to get back out as we have both been quiet for a while

Hi Barry, it was taken at Thronley woods, like everywhere else with wildlife it was a case of being at the right place at the right time.

2 cracking captures but you've gotta feel for the Robin in that last, the poor thing looks like it might still be alive at that point....although its head is at a funny angle.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.

I think the robin might have flown into the side of the hide as I heard a bang and when I went to the side window the picture was what I saw.

Love both those pictures!
The only time I ever got a chance to photograph one it was actually to close to me for the minimum focus distance before it realised I wasnt part of the tree and shot off!!

Love the colour in the eyes and the stare in the first shot.

Back