Sparrowhawk

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Well what a day i had. Went out very early to Baron`s Haugh RSPB but the rain just wouldnt let up. I decided to call it a day and return home---back home for 9.30am.

I managed to get some breakfast and watch tv but quickly became bored and just had to get out. I visited RSPB Lochwinnoch ( 3rd visit in a few weeks ) and found the weather picking up.

As i sat in the hide a sparrowhaw came about 5 feet from the window but it was way to quick.I heard some noise about 30mins later from a Magpie and watched as it was buzzing the sparrowhawk in a tree a distance away. I trained my lens on it just so i could see it ( to far for pics ), then all of a sudden about 20 feet from me the dunnocks, chaffinch etc were going mental. I looked and saw to my suprise another Sparrowhawk sitting on a twig with its back to me.I took 5 shots as its my fist close Sparrowhawk, it then flew off. I watched it fly past a few more times but no pics.I was about to leave when it made another attack near me but it failed--instead sitting looking at me. It turned and hopped into the bush and emerged 10-15mins later with a Chaffinch....

From a dismal start to a superb day--thats what birding and photography are all about.

First 2 pics may be a different bird to the others...Is this a young male?

DSC_5436.jpg

DSC_5440.jpg

High-ish ISO-
DSC_5478.jpg

DSC_5481.jpg

DSC_5483.jpg

DSC_5486.jpg

DSC_5487.jpg

DSC_5488.jpg

DSC_5490.jpg

Beautiful birds and well done getting the shots.............(y)

Can`t help on the ID i`m afraid,Cobra/Chris will know.

Second one is the best of the bunch for me.

nice set of shots, well captured. Like the series in the bush were you can see it looking in all directions :clap:

Thanks for the comments folks. No. 1 will be special as it was my first close shot but i like them all.:LOL:. Seconds after looking around he did an about turn and dived straight into the bush for what seemed like ages( at least 10 mins ). He then flew past me with a Chaffinch in its clutches....

You jammy s*d. Excellent set, we stayed in New Lanark a few weeks ago but didn't have time to visit Lochwinnich. Must try harder.

Andy

Really bright looking bird,the eyes are Piercing to the bone......well captured....(y)

Enjoyed..All are good for me.

A superb set Mark (y) The heart must have been pumping like mad :LOL:

Great fun aren't they
Great captures (y)

I can't see enough of the legs or the chest
in the top two, its
Definitely a different bird from the rest, though, and it may be (an immature) female
the rest are, I am pretty sure are of a mature male male.

females have a "ruff" of feathers at the base of the leg feathers
and the legs are twice as thick The whole bird would also be about half as big again
( in the female)

A superb set Mark (y) The heart must have been pumping like mad :LOL:

Hell Yeah it was.....They are just so quick in the air so these were my only chances.He did land on a moss cover rock but a lady in the hide decided to shout to her husband to ask what it was...:nono::thumbsdown: The husband quicky appologised and removed himself and his wife from the hide.:naughty:

Great fun aren't they
Great captures (y)

in the top two, its
Definitely a different bird from the rest, though, and it may be (an immature) female

and the legs are twice as thick The whole bird would also be about half as big again
( in the female)

Thanks Cobra, yeah the 1st bird did seem larger and would say its back was a different shade as well if thats any help.Thanks again.

Thanks Cobra, yeah the 1st bird did seem larger and would say its back was a different shade as well if thats any help.Thanks again.

No worries (y)
even from those angles you can still see the
"slate blue / grey" back" of the male

Great fun aren't they
Great captures (y)

in the top two, its

( in the female)

Cobra--this compromising position of the 1st bird may help.:shrug::LOL::LOL:

DSC_5441.jpg

Cobra--this compromising position of the 1st bird may help.:shrug::LOL::LOL:

So some bird flashed her arse at you as well ?
what a great day (y)
but shouldn't this be is nudes and glamour :shrug: :D

You can clearly see the leg ruffs in that shot female it is, looks like an adult as well, as the chest bars appear to be "complete"

Last edited:
Great sparrowhawk shots.

Back