Spec me a tripod:

Edit My Images
No
I tend to cover quite a few areas of photography and currently have a velbon ultra maxi f, which is ok as it's nice and light but no good for my d80 with a macro setup or any real weighty lenses.

The main areas I would use the tripod for would be;

1.) Landscape's this is my main interest
2.) Macro work, low down sometimes and needs to be rock steady
3.) Portrait work, bu not as often as the other two

So I have been looking a little and know that the gitzo range is well out of my budget, which would be £200 max for the tripod and a head.

Most people recommend the Manfrotto 190 range, the 190XPROB mostly.

It seems to be a great option, and love the flexability it offers..Is that the best option for me? It seems to be in budget?

Next and I suppose just as important is the head.

I have looked at a couple but really dont know how good they are in the real world. I have seen a kit with the 190xProB with the 804RC2 three way head.

I like the idea of the 322RC2 grip action head, due to easy movement. But does that come at any cost?

Any other recommendations? The manfrotto website doesn't seem all that great?

Any help you guys can give me would be great!

I have the 322RC2 and it's a nice head and not too badly priced. Would be fine for portraits and landscape but I don't like it for macro, as there is about 1mm of movement after you set up and let go of the camera and at 1:1, 1mm is quite a bit of movement.

I use the Manfrotto 458B Neotec legs.

Difficult decision really.

The other thing to consider is that I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall, would I be better suited to the 055XProB? As its a little taller?

Does anyone know of any Manfrotto Stockists in the Derbyshire/Staffordshire area?

try one and see. I have an 190XproB and think its good. The amount I use it I couldn't justify a 55ProB despite me being 6'.

I normally use a ball head, 488RC2. I tried the head with the trigger grip and didn't like it. For landscapes I think I would prefer a traditional pan & tilt head, especially if I planned to make panorama pictures.

The only thing with the 055 is it puts the budget up a little....

Choices...choices....

190 or 055....I guess the decision will be based on the total with the budget in mind.

Any major advantages over the 190 other than height and leg diameter? They have identical features otherwise? The swinging are is a great thing for me

So pretty much decided on the tripod front, but is there anything better in the price range? Maybe not manfrotto? Maybe a second hand pickup?

Back