Specific Studio Lighting - Looking for tips

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
I have recently had a client ask me to do something like this (old ad campaign).

I will have some time to test it out but do you guys have any ideas or tips?
I usually use more simple lighting set ups, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You'll need a minimum of three lights and some reflectors, preferably four or five lights.

Experimenting with film will be expensive - if you don't have a digital camera, now might be the time to buy (or borrow) one. You can always sell it on again once you've mastered the lighting - there is a lot to learn.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd hire a studio with an infinity curve with plenty of lighting. Why film?

Totally agree with sky. These are really nice pro images, you really need the right skillset to pull off something similar.

And as he says this is definitely a 3 light setup minimum setup. I'd be 4/5 lights though straight away and quite a lot of reflectors in there too.

I will be using a studio with an infinity cove. I prefer film over digital as do my clients. (though I have a digital camera as well which I always bring to set)
I am not worried about any of that part, more was just looking for if anyone had ideas on the particular light set up

Well, the lighting isn't particularly consistent between those images. I guess the most consistent thing would be a bare strobe w/ standard reflector firing at the BG from low camera left... in some it looks like there may be a fair bit of spill from this light on the model. The rest mostly looks like a single frontal light; some a bit harder/brighter than others, none particularly soft...
Basically; I think that if you start with a decent ambient exposure (a bit under, but not black frame), add some high frontal light from a fairly hard source, and use a strobe to blow a hotspot in the BG, that would pretty much do it. If your seamless BG is also close to a white wall camera right it would probably work even better (BG spill/bounce).

IMO 90% of these images is the model and the makeup... the job with the lighting is just to not screw that up.

Last edited:
These were the particular ones the client was after.
I agree much is to do with the styling/model.
The only thing about those three is that the added light levels (BG spot and front right) are much lower in the second image; and the frontal light is to the left for the first and third.

Last edited:
Back