Speed boosters are they worth it ?

Edit My Images
Yes
I love using old manual lenses but as I use a Sony a6000 the crop factor can become a bit of a pain in the butt, so with this in mind I thought about using a speed booster . Have any of you used them and what do you think ?

Cheers all

I used to use a zhongyi turbo 2 focal reducer / speed booster on a NEX 6 I had with, mainly contax MF lenses.

It was inexpensive and worked pretty well to reduce the field of view back to what you get on FF.

Other benefits: you get an additional stop eg my contax 28/2.8 became a 28/2.

Resolution is improved in general because the image circle is compressed.

It’s a bit of a faff trying to find the best mount conversion to Sony E and I forgot what I settled on - it may have been eos ef to Sony e but that was just because the contax lenses mount on ef with a simple adapter. I will look and see what I did

I use speed boosters for video. Metabones are the best optically and mechanically but the Viltox versions are close but about a third of the price. The only downsides I have found are they sometimes need some simple adjustment to achieve infinity focus. Also with lenses wider than 18mm they tend to suffer from bad chromatic aberrations and the corners can get a bit soft.

www.andrewhatfield.co.uk

Last edited:
According to a non-human (unfortunately formatting is lost)

Understanding Camera Speed Boosters:

Introduction to Speed Boosters:
A camera speed booster, also known as a focal reducer, is an optical adapter that alters the focal length and aperture of a lens when mounted between the lens and the camera body. Its primary purpose is to increase the amount of light reaching the camera sensor.

Optical Mechanics:
The speed booster employs a series of optical elements to concentrate and project more light onto the camera sensor. This results in a wider effective aperture and an apparent reduction in the focal length of the attached lens.

Benefits of Using Camera Speed Boosters:

Enhanced Low-Light Performance:
The increased amount of light reaching the sensor due to the speed booster enhances low-light performance. Photographers can capture sharper and clearer images in challenging lighting conditions.

Wider Aperture Effect:
The speed booster effectively reduces the lens's f-number, providing a wider aperture. This allows for greater control over depth of field and improved background blur, ideal for achieving artistic and cinematic effects.

Preservation of Depth of Field:
Despite the reduction in focal length, the speed booster helps preserve the original depth of field of the lens. This is advantageous when using lenses with longer focal lengths for portrait or telephoto photography.

Compatibility Across Lens Mounts:
Speed boosters often feature interchangeable mounts, allowing photographers to use lenses with different mounts on their camera bodies. This versatility expands the range of lenses available for creative exploration.

Increased Field of View:
The apparent reduction in focal length results in a wider field of view. This can be advantageous in various scenarios, from landscape photography to capturing group shots in confined spaces.

Transformative Impact on Photographic Excellence:

Creative Flexibility:
Camera speed boosters empower photographers with a heightened level of creative flexibility. The ability to manipulate aperture, focal length, and low-light performance opens doors to new artistic expressions.

Cost-Effective Solution:
In scenarios where acquiring high-aperture lenses might be financially impractical, a speed booster provides a cost-effective alternative. It maximizes the potential of existing lenses without the need for significant investments.

Versatility in Lens Selection:
The adaptability of camera speed boosters across various lens mounts allows photographers to explore a diverse range of lenses, regardless of their native mount. This flexibility encourages experimentation and the discovery of unique visual styles.

Improved Image Quality:
The increased amount of light and the wider effective aperture contribute to improved image quality. Photographs captured with a speed booster often exhibit enhanced sharpness, reduced noise, and vibrant color rendition.

I love using old manual lenses but as I use a Sony a6000 the crop factor can become a bit of a pain in the butt, so with this in mind I thought about using a speed booster . Have any of you used them and what do you think ?

Cheers all

For this reason alone I'd go for it if wanting to use old manual lenses on anything but FF.

Good luck with it if you go for one and I'll look forward to reading your thoughts and seeing any pictures you post.

Just realised I have a couple, don't know where they are.
.7 X and .45X wide angle converters :)

Just realised I have a couple, don't know where they are.
.7 X and .45X wide angle converters :)
Similar, but different...

Any lens attachment in front of the lens- changes what the lens sees, reduces (potential) image quality before the lens, does not change light density at sensor (exposure).
Any attachment after the lens- changes what the camera sees, reduces (potential) image quality after the lens, changes the light density at the sensor (effective aperture).

Every stage in manipulating/recording light is "lossy"... you cannot add another stage (element) without it incurring some loss of resolution/light. But that does not necessarily mean the tradeoff is not worthwhile.

Reactions: Nod
Back