Speedlight + strobe advice?

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
I set up two new Yongnuo 600 speed lights along with one of my Lencarta smart flash lights to do a fitness shot for a friend. I had tested all was well before leaving but on location which was a black and dark gym I could not get my main Lencarta strobe to go off with my speed lights. I am very new to trying this out so need a little help. I had placed the two speed light into two small strip boxes pointing to the side of the model and slightly facing me. I tried moving my main light closer but nope nothing it would not fire I did check I had it on slave mode which it was and tried turning that off but still nothing.It is not my Lencarta strobe as I love these lights and it works fine it is something I am doing wrong. Could it be that I need more light coming from the speed lights to reach the sensor on my main light? I was using a Yongnuo transmitter for my two speed lights which were both set to 1/16 th power at that time. I did continue with just the two speedlights as my lighting and it was ok but would have been so much better with my other light going off.

I agree with Mike - I didn't think I'd ever say that:) - and would add that with the speedlights in strip softboxes, with the light spill very controlled, it's probable that NO light reached the smartflash sensor.

My first thoughts are that not enough light was hitting the slave sensor, how were you triggering the speedlights?

Mike I was using the Yongnuo trigger for the speed flash lights hoping that they in turn would set of my main light. I did have the grids on the strip lights too so I think you are both right I need to turn up the speed lights in the strip boxes. The object was to create rim light on the model as he is cut right now and wanted to show off his muscles lol How could I refuse :) however I guess I need to just set them all up again and practice practice practice!!

Or can't you fit a receiver to the Smartflash?
It isn't good to have equipment restrictions that limit your creativity.

Mike I was using the Yongnuo trigger for the speed flash lights hoping that they in turn would set of my main light. I did have the grids on the strip lights too so I think you are both right I need to turn up the speed lights in the strip boxes. The object was to create rim light on the model as he is cut right now and wanted to show off his muscles lol How could I refuse :) however I guess I need to just set them all up again and practice practice practice!!

Which trigger exactly?

Mike

Aint the lencarta flash a rebranded godox? If so how about the X1 trigger?

Turning up the lights isn’t an answer, nor is changing their direction to ensure that the slave sees them.
The purpose of your lights is to light your subject not trigger your other lights.

Another Yongnuo receiver plugged into the sync port of your smart flash is simple and cheap.

Cathy, I've got one if you want to try it.
Bob I am going to set them up first in the house and see what I can do. I used the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT Speedlight Transmitter so that I could increase the speed light power if needed. Truth is its only my second time using them so I have a lot to learn. However yes you could let me try one of yours if that's ok and if all goes well I will buy one. Just message me where I can borrow it :)

Turning up the lights isn’t an answer, nor is changing their direction to ensure that the slave sees them.
The purpose of your lights is to light your subject not trigger your other lights.

Another Yongnuo receiver plugged into the sync port of your smart flash is simple and cheap.
Thanks Phil I will get the hang of it and I will borrow Bobs as he is near me and then buy a couple. Another option might be to purchase another speed light and try lighting the subject with three speedlights.

Bob I am going to set them up first in the house and see what I can do. I used the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT Speedlight Transmitter so that I could increase the speed light power if needed. Truth is its only my second time using them so I have a lot to learn. However yes you could let me try one of yours if that's ok and if all goes well I will buy one. Just message me where I can borrow it :)
Cathy,
This is what I have. I've got 3 of them. The receiver should work with your transmitter.
It plugs into the sync socket on your smart flash.
20190718_230002_resized.jpg

Aint the lencarta flash a rebranded godox? If so how about the X1 trigger?
Seems not then. My thinking was, the X1 trigger has pass-through so the Yongnou trigger could be placed on top of it. But it will offcource only work if the strobes have the receiver.

Seems not then. My thinking was, the X1 trigger has pass-through so the Yongnou trigger could be placed on top of it. But it will offcource only work if the strobes have the receiver.
You can fit a suitable receiver to the Smartflash.

The sync socket on my Lencarta light is small so not sure if this would fit until I see it Bob but willing to have a go at it.
There’s cables available with small jacks both ends (a stereo jack lead will work at a push) or converters which cost similar.

Huge thanks to Bob for meeting up today and gifting me just what I needed to get going with this light set up I really appreciated his time and help thank you Bob :)
Been on and ordered the adaptors so thanks to every one here for the help and advice and I can now look forward to my next fitness shoot.

Huge thanks to Bob for meeting up today and gifting me just what I needed to get going with this light set up I really appreciated his time and help thank you Bob :)
Been on and ordered the adaptors so thanks to every one here for the help and advice and I can now look forward to my next fitness shoot.
Hi Cathy
Did you have any joy with this?

Back