Spider alert! ID required please.....

andy_fozzy

SPAM Merchant
Name
Andy!
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.
Being a bit silly here perhaps, but just found this little critter on my girls bouncy castle.
I'm a bit paranoid about these nasty little things that bite little girls, so can anyone ID him, and reassure me he isn't going to bite her?!!

160409_1_filtered.jpg

160409_2_filtered.jpg

160409_filtered.jpg

I know I'm probably being redicularse, bit like I said I'm a bit worried about nasty biting spiders!!

Looks like a St Andrews cross spider, Venomous, but low risk.

St Andrews Cross Spiders ...low risk - non-aggressive

Venom toxicity - the bite of the St Andrews Cross is of low risk (non-toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spider Identification - adult 1/4" to 1/2" in body length - abdomen striped yellow and brown - as illustrated. The St Andrews Cross Spider usually sits, upside down, in the middle of its web forming a cross - as illustrated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Habitat - this spider is a web-weaver usually found in summer in garden areas around the home. It is considered beneficial as it spins a large web to snare flying insects, such as flies and mosquitoes.

See here.

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

Last edited:
Ooh thanks very much for that, and the link to the website.
Never seen that site before, but I've bookmarked it for the future!!

Thanks again (y)

id have squashed it, no chance of a bit or anything then;)

Andy I missed this thread, that is Steatoda nobilis the False Widow Sider and can bite, it is reportedly the most poisonous UK spider, although no one has ever died from a spider bite from a UK native spider. That site above is a USA site so not much use as their spiders are more dangerous than ours ;)

:eek:

Heard about these little buggers.......

Check the picture out on the top of the page HERE.
They do look very similar!

Back