Critique Spider trap sequence

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Bryn's thread here reminded me of a nice sequence I captured a couple of weeks ago. I was out early evening just having a quick look to see if I could spot any Globbies around the flower beds (I didn't). I did see a flash of movement out the corner of my eye. A plant hopper had landed on a web and I got my lens up to it just as the spider arrived on the scene:
The trap is sprung by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

I think this shot shows her getting her fangs in...
First bite by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

The spider then moved around a bit to reposition, maybe laying down some extra web in the process:
Predator and Prey by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

I'm not sure if she took a few more bites, but this shot shows a nice flash of her fangs:
Another stab by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

Shortly after the spider retreated. I guess to avoid any damage whilst it's prey was still thrashing about as well as to minimise the amount of time the spider is vulnerable out in the open to any other predators:
The retreat by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

She tucked herself up, hiding beneath a leaf and there she waited:
Wait in safety by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

The planthopper was left hanging, barely twitching as the venom took hold:
Venom at work by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

Last edited:
I waited there, nervous as the sun had already dipped below the horizon and the ambient light was failing fast. About 5 minutes later though the spider returned to take a look:
Is it ready yet? by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

She rested for a few minutes longer, making sure the planthopper was completely immobile:
A little longer by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

Satisfied the venom had done it's job she returned to her catch, rolling it in thick net-like webbing before starting to cut it free from the main web:
Cutting free by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

The hopper hanging behind, she made her way back to her sheltered spot on the underside of a leaf:
Takeaway by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

Reeling it in:
A quiet spot for dinner by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

Finally she was able to enjoy her well earned meal:
Good things come to she who waits by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

Apologies for such a large post, obviously I took many more frames, but I think the above covers the event nicely. As mentioned it was very low ambient light conditions. I was shooting at 1600 ISO and 1/20th for much of it, along with a wide aperture, so I wasn't using too much magnification and most of these have been cropped.

Last edited:
That is a cool set Tim, I have a sequence of this species mating from way-back somewhere in my vault :)

What a wonderful sequence of images, with an excellent commentary. Superb execution in difficult circumstances Tim, requiring both speed and patience, and needing good judgement on the technicals. And even possibly (I don't know) a bit outside of your comfort zone. Be that as it may, that is, and you have, IMO done very, very well with the opportunity you were offered. I'm full of admiration.

good shots last one for me I wonder if this guy can wrap my ebay items for me?:thinking:

Back