Beginner Spider with unknown catch.

Always nice to see life and death in action in the world of the small beasties. Nicely lit to separate the background.

Regards

Tim

Well done Ben. I particularly like the first one - plenty of detail, especially when seen over at Flickr.

You might have done this already of course, but because of the good detail and DoF coverage in #1 you might want to try cropping it (some more - perhaps you have cropped it already). Obviously, exactly how you would like it to look is a matter of personal taste, but I hope this version at least shows that there is plenty to play with there even if the overall effect isn't quite what you would prefer.

NOT MY IMAGE - Orangecroc - spider and prey - LR6 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

It
Well done Ben. I particularly like the first one - plenty of detail, especially when seen over at Flickr.

You might have done this already of course, but because of the good detail and DoF coverage in #1 you might want to try cropping it (some more - perhaps you have cropped it already). Obviously, exactly how you would like it to look is a matter of personal taste, but I hope this version at least shows that there is plenty to play with there even if the overall effect isn't quite what you would prefer.

NOT MY IMAGE - Orangecroc - spider and prey - LR6 1300h
It was already cropped, I tried not to go over the top with the cropping but I may have another go with a full size copy. Did you do much else other than cropping?

It was already cropped, I tried not to go over the top with the cropping but I may have another go with a full size copy. Did you do much else other than cropping?

I made these changes in Lightroom. The Luminance noise reduction setting at the bottom was to get rid of the noise that the quite aggressive settings above had made visible despite the fact that the masking on the sharpening protected the background from the rather crude sharpening (it was a "quick and dirty" play :D).

Orangecroc spider and prey - Lightroom adjustments 1

I then painted over the subject to reverse the noise reduction on it so as to get the detail back. It may look like this is very fiddly to do but in fact it is very quick and easy. I'll make a little video about it if you or anyone else is interested.

Orangecroc spider and prey - Lightroom adjustments 2

Nicely shot Ben
Nicks edit is an improvement.

I made these changes in Lightroom. The Luminance noise reduction setting at the bottom was to get rid of the noise that the quite aggressive settings above had made visible despite the fact that the masking on the sharpening protected the background from the rather crude sharpening (it was a "quick and dirty" play :D).

Orangecroc spider and prey - Lightroom adjustments 1

I then painted over the subject to reverse the noise reduction on it so as to get the detail back. It may look like this is very fiddly to do but in fact it is very quick and easy. I'll make a little video about it if you or anyone else is interested.

Orangecroc spider and prey - Lightroom adjustments 2
Thanks for the explaination. I really need to invest in LR at some point. Rawtherapee misses out on some good features and the NR and sharpening algorithms seem a bit rudimentary.

It may look like this is very fiddly to do but in fact it is very quick and easy. I'll make a little video about it if you or anyone else is interested.

Yes please!

Back