Spitfire Flypast - ELR 40s weekend, Bury, Lancs.

wontolla

Misery Guts Monica
Name
I'm not a Misery Guts and Monica is not my Moniker
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Yes I'm hoping to.

The Spitfire and Hurricane are doing a fly past over Bolton street station late afternoon - I'm trying to find out if they're coming up the valley

Yes I'm hoping to.

The Spitfire and Hurricane are doing a fly past over Bolton street station late afternoon - I'm trying to find out if they're coming up the valley

(y) Looking forward to it! Hope to see you there Andy.

Anyone else fancy going?

Just an update

Spoke to the East lancs Railway and the organiser was there - asked if the Spitfire and Hurricane were flying up the valley, following the railway - didn't know was the answer that came back...

So none the wiser at the moment...

I'll be there, God willing, with my daughter (who lives in Whitefield) and is currently sourcing her 40's outfit. Website suggests flypast weather dependent.

I'll be there, God willing, with my daughter (who lives in Whitefield) and is currently sourcing her 40's outfit. Website suggests flypast weather dependent.

Yes, didn't arrive last year due to iffy weather which was disappointing, but was still a good weekend...

Yes, didn't arrive last year due to iffy weather which was disappointing, but was still a good weekend...

Certainly was! I was there with JustDave and his mate, met a few other togs too. The Ladies were excellent in the period dress and only too willing too pose.
There were others not too willing!

I'll be under the clock with a rose in my buttonhole!

No I wont, I will be mostly wearing craghoppers stuff and a LowePro FastPack 350 and a blue (ish) Craghoppers cap.
Say hello if you spot me!

Last edited:
I can't help wondering who in their right mind names a railway station sheep's ah sole?

I can't help wondering who in their right mind names a railway station sheep's ah sole?

It gets its name from the wild garlic (ramsons) that grew, (and still does) in the botom of the valley, RAMSONS BOTTOM, shortened to RAMSBOTTOM.
That's what I was informed by a local historian many years ago. (y)

It gets its name from the wild garlic (ramsons) that grew, (and still does) in the botom of the valley, RAMSONS BOTTOM, shortened to RAMSBOTTOM.
That's what I was informed by a local historian many years ago. (y)

Well bugger me (metaphorically speaking) you live and learn :)

Well bugger me (metaphorically speaking) you live and learn :)

No thanks, (metaphorically speaking) but appreciate the offer :D

DSC_0781.jpg

DSC_07801.jpg

this was my first effort at this

Was going to go down today but heard you have to pay to get on the station. Guy on the phone said £7.50 for the cheapest ticket, i'm disabled and can't get benefit so unfortunately got to give it a miss.

Was going to go down today but heard you have to pay to get on the station. Guy on the phone said £7.50 for the cheapest ticket, i'm disabled and can't get benefit so unfortunately got to give it a miss.

You can get a platform ticket for £2 to £3 to go on the stations themselves, but at Ramsbottom a lot of the stuff is just out in the town.

You can get a platform ticket for £2 to £3 to go on the stations themselves, but at Ramsbottom a lot of the stuff is just out in the town.

Thanks for that.

Went to Ramsbottom and as you say, it was all in town and at the station i just walked in with everyone else :).

I have probably spent 3 or 4 war weekend afternoons looking at a grey sky trying to get a good shot of the Spitfire, yesterday perfect conditions it flew right over us and tipped it's wings, my camera was in the boot of the car....gutted. We were in Rawtenstall not Ramsbottom and we weren't thinking about the Spitfire at all...maybe next year.

FWIW, I didn't go until the Sunday, so missed the fly past. I did, however, enjoy the stockings and suspenders!

Back