Spitfire

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

new to the forums so i thought I would post a piccie or two in different places, I really like taking pictures of Aeroplanes and re enactors

heres a Spitfire i took at Spitfire Day at IWM Duxford

Robin
(Pegasus)

spit600.jpg

It's a nice shot, but it's missing that little something that for me would make the image scream "spitfire" to anyone with less than a keen interest in war birds.

:agree:

Defo missing that "I'm a spit and I'm a spitfire ... "

I agree with above about missing something .... BUT, I am really drawn to this picture - I like the composition of it.

Not what I expected when I read the title -Spitfire. Maybe the fact that it's missing the "I am a spitfire" statement is the part I like.

I'm confused ;)

Anth.

Hmmm.... Instantly recognisable as a Spit and a great angle too. Only thing I think I would have tried to do differently was to get more definition (less exposure) on the fuselage but still a good shot.

David.

Thanks for the comments guys

Not sure what you mean by doesn't scream Spitfire, could you perhaps explain a little more. See what you mean about the exposure of the shot though, makes some sense, its from an original raw image so going to have a play with that.

Robin

The Spitfire is such an 'iconic' WWII bird. Only an enthusiast would see this for what it is, part of a Spitfire...... it's not yelling ....Spitfire.... in any classical sense..... no elliptical wing tip, no typical armament pattern, Merlin exhaust stubs, even the traditional canopy is not obvious. There are many ways you could capture, artistically, a Spitfire and it would retain all the hallmarks of a Spitfire..... sadly this is not one of them :(

I applaud your effort though :clap:

hmmm

Let me see if I get this right, because again I do know spitfires quite well, because some people don't know spitfires, all shots of them have to show certain areas of it for it a good picture, like the canopy, exhausts and the elliptical wing tips. Doesn't that sort of cramp the angles a bird like this can be taken from.

I thought the idea was to catch a good shot so that people who see the picture will think, oooh thats nice, rather than well I don't recognise that plane so its not a good picture.

Does every picture have to be fully explained in it so that there is no wonder or imagination.

Looking to learn here

Robin

I think magpieant and gwocni have done that bit!

There was a part of me that looked at the title and then I saw something different, an artistic side to it. Then my other bits said "where are the graceful lines..... etc?".

So, it's a picture of two halves. I really do think it's reasonably well executed. The title tells me to expect something. The picture made me look to what I know of a Spitfire so you made me look at all aspects of the image - no bad thing.

In essence, and it's only my opinion, you've given a very Objective title to an extremely Subjective image.

Don't be put off. My first post on here reduced a Roman Centurion technically reasonably correct, to a much 'artified' image of "Gladiator" proportions - desaturated, grainified and all sorts of other things.

What I'm saying here is ~ this a great forum!

as an arty female I would just like to say how refreshing this view of the Spitfire is :) I love the way you are showing us the curvey pieces of metal riveted together, patchwork style! Hurrah! You blokes! doh!

I like this....its up close and personal........gives a different view of a beautiful plane where you can see the imperfections and not an at a distance airbrushed glamor model affect, so to speak.

Indeed as Chuckles stated far better than I ever could, remove the title and the vast majority of todays society will tell you it's a plane. If you showed the beautiful exhaust design, or the pointed wing tips and that majority will tell you it's a spit.

I said in my opening post I liked it :) and I stand by that (y)

Robin

I think what Chuckles was trying to tell you was that you didn't show off enough of the characteristic lines and features of the Spitfire to identify the bird to others who do not know every square inch of its construction.

If I had the money I spent on scale models (mostly Spits) I could probably buy a 1Ds Mk III and LOTS of nice glass now, but that is beside the point.

This is the (very subjective) beauty of photography as I personally love the image even though I can find dozens of reasons to tear it apart on technical grounds but this is not what matters.

You liked this specific composition/image and were brave enough to share it.

Some will love it and others will not. Some others will nitpick and (on rare occasion:naughty:) i am among them.

Now be brave enough to accept this, experiment around this and show us more to look at.

This (IMHO) is how we all learn!

Cheers m8

hey Anton

Not a case of accepting it, when you start out like I have then your looking to have a guide to what makes a classically good photo, I agree My spit is not not showing its graceful lines, but it is a spit all the same, rather like seeing a beautiful ladies one fault, that's how I see my picture.

I was confused at what was said rather disagreeing with it the pic is far from perfect but I do like it, perhaps I will be more careful in how I name my posts and what I do show in future.

Robin

No need to be careful Pegasus, spam away..........photography is subjective, I for one like this others maybe aren't so keen, but thats the beauty of what we all do, we see things in different ways, if we didn't this would be a very boring place.

hey Anton

Not a case of accepting it, when you start out like I have then your looking to have a guide to what makes a classically good photo, I agree My spit is not not showing its graceful lines, but it is a spit all the same, rather like seeing a beautiful ladies one fault, that's how I see my picture.

I was confused at what was said rather disagreeing with it the pic is far from perfect but I do like it, perhaps I will be more careful in how I name my posts and what I do show in future.

Robin

Here's a thought - don't name your images:D

We have now seen that there is enough peripheral dicky doo-dah to get bogged down in.

Let's then focus on the actual first priority - enjoying the pictures!!

If any person does not know what they are looking at (poor uneducated sods:boxer::exit:) let them ask!

:D

Back