'Splotches' appear when mounting photo in frame

Edit My Images
No
Ok, so I ordered a glossy 40x30cm print to fill a frame that I bought in a sale. Frame is fine, print is fine, but when I put the two together and push in all of the clamps, what can best be described as a splodge/splotch/spot appears in one area of the picture.

It looks similar to when you sandwich a drop of water between two glass slides.

Removing pressure, i.e undoing all the clamps makes it go away. I have washed the glass front of the frame and carefully dried, so I don't think it is oily fingerprint residue or related things. Is it possible that the ink in the print is somehow still wet?!

Any advice for how best to mount photos gratefully received, or even better if anyone else has had a similar problem and knows how to solve it!

I don't know how you can fix it, but it can't be ink as it would be smearing and making a mess.... is it a plastic clip frame by any chance? If it is, its probably just not sitting flat across the whole surface area, and there's not much you can do about that....

You need a cardboard mount (cutout) between the glass and photo!

it's similar to the newton's rings effect you get with film scanning if the film touches the glass bed of the scanner. The solution, as said above, is to get a proper cardboard mount between the glass and the photo. If they don't touch, then they don't "splotch" :)

Also, if you're putting a photo behind glass, try and get a silk or matt finished print, rather than the gloss, as with the gloss finish, any dark areas will pretty much turn into a mirror when mounted behind glass.

As has been said earlier you need to have a mount made for the print to separate it from the glass. This has two functions 1. It stops the ring effect you are getting 2. Prevents the print sticking physically to the glass.

Most art shops will cut these for you or if you don't have one near you you can get them on line. They are not expensive

Wontolla's solution has to be the best.

You should never put a gloss print in contact with plain glass. You can out a lustre finish print next to plain glass - or a gloss print next to "non reflecting" glass. If you have to put a gloss print behind plain glass use a mount that puts an air gap between them....

As above, but you may also need to attach the print to card otherwise it will still have a tendency to touch the glass sometimes. Spray mount will be the logical solution for a one-off.

Back