Sports photo of the year?

Edit My Images
No
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/poll/2010/sep/27/arsenal-new-goalkeeper-january

Saw an uncropped version of this in Sundays Observer and wondered what others thought of it.

I think It briliantly captures the moment with the netting framing both the ball and Alumnia's face and gloved hand.

It doesn't end there. The cross bar and stand are parallel, the ball in flight and the logo on the goal keeper shirt there's just so much.

So what do you think?

Brian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/poll/2010/sep/27/arsenal-new-goalkeeper-january

Saw an uncropped version of this in Sundays Observer and wondered what others thought of it.

I think It briliantly captures the moment with the netting framing both the ball and Alumnia's face and gloved hand.

It doesn't end there. The cross bar and stand are parallel, the ball in flight and the logo on the goal keeper shirt there's just so much.

So what do you think?

Brian

Not for me thanks...Adrian's a very good photographer and remote shots can be stunning but I just dont think that it's that good. In a world cup year there were some utterly brilliant shots from that and this one, while good and a good example of how a remote camera can work for you...isn't the photo of the year in my opinion.

However, each to their own.

Saw this last night but didnt have time to comment, to me its basically a nothing shot as in nothing stands out to me.

So what do you think?

Honestly doesnt do anyhting for me either.. the cropping is terrible as it leaves you wondering what the bar is going acrross the top.. theres no sense of jumping in the keeper..

TBH I "might" have dumped it.. certainly wouldnt have labled it sports pic of the year... sorry :)

Doesn't do anything for me either really! I'd say I prefer most of the sports shots people post on here to be honest, but we're all different! :D

Chris

Nah, crap mate, sky is blown out, should have moved them under the stand. :LOL:

To be fair, I'd have much prefered the pitch really...however, there's a Ryder Cup concert tonight so there wasn't exactly any "green" available.

It's not that great, you managed to chop out Steve Borthwick!

Helen, you know full well Mr Borthwick chopped himself out of that photo to go to Oktoberfest...the worst of it is, out of the 5 togs there I don't think any of us really twigged he was missing! :thinking:

To be fair, I'd have much prefered the pitch really...however, there's a Ryder Cup concert tonight so there wasn't exactly any "green" available.

Helen, you know full well Mr Borthwick chopped himself out of that photo to go to Oktoberfest...the worst of it is, out of the 5 togs there I don't think any of us really twigged he was missing! :thinking:

Only 5? Blimey... it is a big deal isn't it! :naughty:

Only 5? Blimey... it is a big deal isn't it! :naughty:

well one of them graced us with his presence before going off to do something "more important" at Celtic Manor. And one turned up so late he missed the "festivities" of group photos...he has a reputation for lateness too...I'm sure you might be able to guess.

Re the first shot; does nothing for me, sorry. Then again I don't like football so I was always going to struggle to warm to the subject matter anyway.

this photo doesnt show any point / skill what so ever. garbage, and shouldnt have even been used!

Well of course it doesn't match the fantastic quality that is posted on TP's Sports Forum.

Does nothing for either - other than enjoying Arsenal letting a goal in.

Looks staged. Doesn't convey the drama at all

I agree about the drama...but not sure about it looking staged.

Not that I want to tout my own shots but...

this
I0000j0F2M5RfXrE.jpg

or this
I0000A9pBeQPYiek.jpg

I feel show more drama or emotion.

Personally, I'd have sent out the shot of Almunia picking it out of the net...but I wouldn't be sticking it in my portfolio. It's strange which image the papers will choose...

Hopefully, if the comment regarding "excellent quality" of TP was sarcastic that might silence the critic...since I think my 2 shots there are quite good.

Last edited:
Hi Jamesb84

I guess the power of a lot of commercial sports and news photography has built in impact because we know some of the back story. Bellamy scoring on his homecoming gives your image so much more IMO that an identical image of another footballer.

Likewise the Alumnia shot may well be a pivotal moment in his career. I guess without knowing that it might not make as much sense.

I love the fact that the stand/crossbar confused me jamesward93.

I was being hyperbolic 'photo of the year?' and wish now that I had merley asked for comments on the picture I posted. When I saw it in the Observer it really grabbed me.

Other than that It does frustrate somewhat when people comment when you know they have not read your post.

All the best everyone : )

Hi Jamesb84

I guess the power of a lot of commercial sports and news photography has built in impact because we know some of the back story. Bellamy scoring on his homecoming gives your image so much more IMO that an identical image of another footballer.

Likewise the Alumnia shot may well be a pivotal moment in his career. I guess without knowing that it might not make as much sense.

I love the fact that the stand/crossbar confused me jamesward93.

I was being hyperbolic 'photo of the year?' and wish now that I had merley asked for comments on the picture I posted. When I saw it in the Observer it really grabbed me.

Other than that It does frustrate somewhat when people comment when you know they have not read your post.

All the best everyone : )

See, for me the Almunia shot isn't a pivotal moment for me. The David James shot I posted was the first goal he conceded as a Bristol City player (1 of 3 that afternoon) whereas the other one is just another goal to me...as it probably is for Manuel.

That said, Talk Sports is (I feel) a place where we can encourage and enjoy healthy debate which benefits everyone.

I beg to differ regarding the impact of that particular goal.

It's got to be said though James you do pick your games! (y)

I just push the buttons...someone else picks my games for me.

It does work both ways though. For example today I'm doing a 105 mile round trip for a 20min press conference because I'm the closest photographer not at the Ryder cup.

Might not be shot of the year, but one that stands out in my memory so far.

article-1317364-0B716BF0000005DC-67_964x603.jpg

nagh.. theers a cricket shot that a link was posted to...will deffo be up there

I like the Tiger Shot. Especially the guy third in on the right. Comedy moustache and cigar.

Back