Sports Photography - What Agency would be best for me?

Name
Richard Walker
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently an accredited photographer for Rugby League and for pool (The Mosconi Cup), and have done numerous events and sports over the years and now have a good portfolio. So rather that doing pictures directly for small publications and local papers I was wondering what Photo Agency would be best for me to get my pictures into the national papers or for a wider distribution.

I'm currently an accredited photographer for Rugby League and for pool (The Mosconi Cup), and have done numerous events and sports over the years and now have a good portfolio. So rather that doing pictures directly for small publications and local papers I was wondering what Photo Agency would be best for me to get my pictures into the national papers or for a wider distribution.

If your accrdited then send them in yourself.. all an agency does is take a whopping great chunk off your fee for doing the same thing.. http://www.epuk.org/resources/newspaper-email-addresses

Kipax, perhaps that's true but I make virtually nothing so money isn't the first priority, larger distribution of my photos is my key goal at the moment. It's just such a headache chasing/negotiating payment etc, it's just not fun at all, in fact I'd be happy for someone to take a fee percentage, if they can negotiate a higher fee anyway.

Kipax, perhaps that's true but I make virtually nothing so money isn't the first priority, larger distribution of my photos is my key goal at the moment. It's just such a headache chasing/negotiating payment etc, it's just not fun at all, in fact I'd be happy for someone to take a fee percentage, if they can negotiate a higher fee anyway.

When dealing wiht nationals there is no negotiating fees.. you get what they pay you thats it..

larger distribution of my photos is my key goal at the moment.

Why? You don't get any bylines/credit for sports pics in nationals so whats the point in that ?

how can you be making nothing now if your being published in small and local papers..

I thought this thread said "Sports Photography - What age"

How dare you ask my age, just look at the rapidly receding hair line and crows' feet, brah!

So your saying it's hard to make money in sports photography. no one really gave you an answer either.

When sending the photos in to numerous papers what should I say and how much should I ask for my photos?

Say nothing and ask for nothing ... You should be putting all the details in the IPTC fields .. General info such as date where you are ..all your contact and bank details.. then add whats happenign in each picture.. this is embedded in the picture and what the papers use to search for what they want... if they use your pic they will pay you whatever there rates are..

this is how it works when sending sports pics on spec to various national newspapers.

I'd add 'No use without payment' to the Rights Usage field and if you have a minimum fee for use, add it there as well.

I'd add 'No use without payment' to the Rights Usage field and if you have a minimum fee for use, add it there as well.

yeagh I have "Self billing applies where appropriate NO UNPAID USE" yes in caps :) Never had a minimum fee though.. nationals dont usualy skimp :)

Maybe a good ide for regionals.. but for regionals i also add "no syndication" otherwise they get everywhere and i dont get any extra :(

yeagh I have "Self billing applies where appropriate NO UNPAID USE" yes in caps :) Never had a minimum fee though.. nationals dont usualy skimp :)

Maybe a good ide for regionals.. but for regionals i also add "no syndication" otherwise they get everywhere and i dont get any extra :(

NO comment! :D

Ours is a minimum online use rate. :)

Back