Spot metering

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
When shooting birds with a telephoto lens is spot metering best..?

There's a lot of variables I guess as to which is the best metering.

A crow in the snow - it depends on how big it is in the rest of the frame, same for birds against the sky.

Coal tits or Blue tits often end up with blown cheeks or good cheeks with underexposed dark plumage.

I probably mix and match my metering mode based on subject and background but probably use spot more than others. Generally it requires a bit of +/- exposure comp based on the scene.

Last edited:
When shooting birds with a telephoto lens is spot metering best..?

Not really, because spot metering depends on you putting the spot on an area where you understand what the metering will do and adjust accordingly.
That then means that it'll take extra time to get right and that isn't usually good for wildlife. It'll also mess up the exposure if the spot drifts off the specific area if the animal moves.

It can be useful to get a meter reading in scenes of extreme contrast (for example a bird with patches of white on it in direct sun, against a background of complete shade).

The best practice is learning evaluative mode (and when to add plus or minus compensation in that mode), and what situations to use manual mode in.

Learning a vague idea of what shutter speed and aperture should be set to for whites in direct sun is really helpful too.

Back