Springtail of the round type

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3428

Globular springtails are all that I can seem to find in my garden at the moment along with a few other species of springtail. So here are a few of my findings.
All shot with the Canon 350d, Mp-e 65 and MT-24 ex macro twin lite. Exif data intact.
P.S. Can you see the smiley face :D
Species Dicyrtomina saundersi

Riding on the back of a small snail :D
4162166227_b1ec723b4f_o.jpg

4162927708_7d208fe52a_o.jpg

4162166661_e832c47bb1_o.jpg

4162166865_2f4561f8d3_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As ever, all annoyingly good. Really like the first image though. It sets the context nicely.

Git:)

Robbo: These are about 1-2mm in size so if you take a shot of a ruler at max magnification you will get some idea of where you are with it ;)

Interesting little beatie, looks like it wearing desert camo:LOL: Well shot mate(y)

Absolutely stunning shots - an incredible magnification.

keep thinking about investing in mpe, but am considering a 100-400 for doing a bit of nature birds etc especially for this time of year when insects are few and far between and just stick to my 100mm for the macro but when you see shots like these I erm a bit more...... and think maybe this would be a more exciting investment....?

I've heard it can be quite frustrating. Do you take most of your shots hand held or with a tripod.

Yes all shot hand held although I do try and rest either my arm body or camera if possible on something and I have been know to use a monopod now and again. :D

Absolutely stunning shots - an incredible magnification.

keep thinking about investing in mpe, but am considering a 100-400 for doing a bit of nature birds etc especially for this time of year when insects are few and far between and just stick to my 100mm for the macro but when you see shots like these I erm a bit more...... and think maybe this would be a more exciting investment....?

I would say go with the 100-400 as it is a great lens too and you will be able to get more shots from that. I use a 400 f5.6 L for my birding and find it a great lens and if I never had the 70-200 I would have gone for the 100-400 ;)

Fantastic set , as always, ...... I am sure there must be some sort of parasite that lives on a springtail that you photograph,.........:clap:

You never cease to amaze Alby ...

Dave ....

Thanks Dave, I have shot the little mites that live on slugs but never seen any on a springtail however, here is a shot of mites on an aphid that is talking to a small wasp, the whole scene is about 15mm across I guess.

4163191107_0c86afd9e9_o.jpg

Thanks Dave, I have shot the little mites that live on slugs but never seen any on a springtail however, here is a shot of mites on an aphid that is talking to a small wasp, the whole scene is about 15mm across I guess.

4163191107_0c86afd9e9_o.jpg

:clap: ..................... Think i will keep my mouth shut in future ....:bonk:

It's all been said, however................:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Just to echo everybody else - amazing shots, particularly love the hitch-hiking on a snail capture, great timing!

Carl

Thanks Carl, I didn't even notice it was on the snail until I looked at the shots on the laptop :D

Thanks Dave, I have shot the little mites that live on slugs...

I was just going to say I remember seeing your shots of tiny little mites in a snails nostril (I think?) which were ridiculously good.

Great set as always - I particularly like the third. The lighting is fantastic :clap:

I was just going to say I remember seeing your shots of tiny little mites in a snails nostril (I think?) which were ridiculously good.

Great set as always - I particularly like the third. The lighting is fantastic :clap:

Thanks, those mites on that slug were very tiny and only just visible to the naked eye, well my old eyes anyway :D

As usual stunning shot Alby - Down here in Cornwall the bugs have either drown or been blown away :shake:

Back