spyware/web browser hijacker removel

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I seem to have picked up some sort of spyware/web browser hijacker, every now & again a pop up web page appears even though I have Norton internet protection, scanned my system 3 times & norton can't find anything, can anyone recommend a program that can route the problem out & get rid of it :thinking:
Thanks
ps, everything else seems to be ok

Try this http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Also try doing scans when booted into safe mode, also turn off system restore, as some spyware hides itself in system restore and simply re-infects the system.

Norton is indeed the biggest pile of arse of any antivirus bloatware...

As said, install and run full system scans with AGV or Avast plus Spybot and Ad-Aware and see if that solves it. If not it's time to get busy with Hijack This.

edit: oh, and if you're not using it, download and use Firefox as your browser too ;)

never used malwarebytes personally but it gets good reviews.

personally i favour avast and spybot. do full scans with both (youll need to remove norton before installing another AV package) and you should have a result.

thanks for all your replies, please keep them coming, I've run Malwarebytes once using quick check, hasn't fixed the problem yet, I'll keep trying :)

Malware also gets my vote - it found spyware that others haven't - it's best to use a couple of different spyware tools...I use malaware/adaware & spybot at different times

Simon

Kasperski A V will shift Viruses and malware

Spybot is also a good bet run it in safe mode though :)

It's been said many times before, but if you want to cock your computer up and get a virus then install Norton.

Like other I would get rid of Norton and use either AVG or Avast, personal I have just change from AVG to Avast as AVG is getting very bloated and resource hungry for me.

thanks for all your replies, the worst happened this morning, it wouldn't boot up, even in safe mode, had to do a complete recovery lost all my emails etc, :crying:, but my photos are safe on external drives :)
now for the long slog back to rebuild a useful system :thinking:
bye - bye Norton :thumbsdown:

Ouch - that's bad news. Do you have another machine you can plug the drive into to try and get your mail back?

LemmingLover, wish I'd have known that, when I used the sytem recovery cd's I believe it formatted the drive, must admit, loosing my emails is the biggest pain.
On a positive note, the virus has gone :)
I'll be a little more choosey what I install this time, the machine was getting very cluttered & slow

I'll be a little more choosey what I install this time, the machine was getting very cluttered & slow

Norton is well known for this, AVG seems to have a good reputation as an anti virus program and is light on resources; there is a free version, but the paid for one is a little more up to date as far as I understand. It was explained to me that the paid for one gets the latest virus definitions about a week before the free one.

Check out : www.download.com for AVG and Ad-Aware plus many other items of software, some free, some paid for.

Good luck with the reinstall, its a pain especially when you lose data. :bang:

Back