SR.N4 Cross Channel Hovercraft, diffrent views

zeb

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
Was on a course today and decided I’d take my camera had a bit of a result with this opportunity, a bit limited on time and space for the high shots but better than nothing.

The SR.N4 Hovercraft is one of the largest passenger hovercraft ever built. It carried up to 418 passengers and 60 vehicles and was constructed by the British Hovercraft Corporation. Weighing 269 tons, 56.38 meters in length & boasting 3,500 shaft horsepower Rolls-Royce turboprop engines fitted with four steerable propellers.

The Princess Margaret, and Princes Anne, operated services across the English Channel from August 1968. Tragedy hit on 30th March 1985 when the Princess Margaret was blown onto a breakwater at Dover and 4 passengers lost their lives. The craft was repaired and returned to service later that year.
Both craft are privately owned but are on display at The Hovercraft Museum, Lee-on-the-Solent, Hampshire. Internal access is very rarely granted.

The Princess Anne crossed the English Channel in a very impressive 22 minutes in September 1995. This was the fastest crossing recorded during the crafts service.

Unfortunately due to steep fuel costs & decline in public use the craft were withdrawn from service in October 2000.

The video is of both Hovercraft arriving at the Museum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M8fsciJKfQ

IMG_0265 by zeb2012, on Flickr

IMG_0272 by zeb2012, on Flickr

IMG_0276 by zeb2012, on Flickr

IMG_0290 by zeb2012, on Flickr

IMG_0294 by zeb2012, on Flickr

Cool, I just sent you a flickr message re these but reading this it answers my question. Very interesting Mate. ;)

This brings back memories. I used to regularly use these - and would do today if they were still in service. Sad to see them deteriorating like this.

They still run the small hovercrafts to the isle of wight. Surprised me when I saw them last year.

2blue4u said:
This brings back memories. I used to regularly use these - and would do today if they were still in service. Sad to see them deteriorating like this.

+1 again

They didn't half make a din

What a very sad sight... good old fashioned English engineering going to waste. :crying:

i always remember the drone of them coming into the western docks as a kid and trying to see through the port holes on the stone wall on the pier.

Lucky enough to go on them in the 80s a few times and loved the ride - even in rough seas.

Great photos and real memory jerker. thanks for sharing, shame they in a state at the moment

What a very sad sight... good old fashioned English engineering going to waste. :crying:

They are in a bit of a state now but still interesting having a look round they are so huge but at least they are still in one piece and the volunteers are trying their best with limited resources.

Apparently they were bought privately and donated to the museum as the buyer only wanted the engines.

I remember seeing on of these when I was about 5 !, awesome sight, such a shame to see them rotting away.

Back