SSD question

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
Having a really blonde moment here

Is it ok to put SSD hard drives in hold luggage of an aeroplane, need to cur down on as much

hand luggage weight as possible

Cheers in advance

If you have anything valuable and not backed up, I would not out it in the hold.

If you have anything valuable and not backed up, I would not out it in the hold.

This.

If weight is such a problem, maybe have a set of back ups on memory cards (or even 2 sets) as well as the SSD.

they will be fine, although they weigh nothing....

They're tiny too so maybe you could slip one into a pocket while your hand baggage is being weighed then slip it back in the bag when out of sight of the desk.

Having a really blonde moment here

Is it ok to put SSD hard drives in hold luggage of an aeroplane, need to cur down on as much

hand luggage weight as possible

Cheers in advance

Yes it is okay to put them in a suitcase that goes into the main hold. Just wrap them with bubble wrap or other soft padding, like you would with anything else (ie: portable alarm clock, etc.,), you could put it in a soft shoe or trainer and put in a rolled up sock, you could wrap a t-shirt around it, or a scarf (assuming you're flying to somewhere cold).

SSDs does not have any moving parts inside them, they are designed to take some light simple knocks and shakes, and still work. Unlike HDDs which have moving parts, even when not in use, can still be damaged from knocks and rough shakes. Just remember that the case of SSDs can be cracked and damaged, like any other piece of plastic production, hence the need to wrap in soft padding.

Got a couple of these Xanad cases on Amazon. About £10 each and give great protection when out and about.

49672306891_bdfff71972_o.jpg

GC

062 and 063...?

Don't tell me, you got up to 63 portable SSDs? :)

Not quite, I've only got 4:)

It's my asset list numbering reference.

GC

Back