St. Ives, Cornwall

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Just returned from a week in St. Ives in Cornwall. Never been to St. Ives before and I was like a kid in a sweetshop with my new camera (and phone shots too). Took way too many photos for a single thread but won't bore everyone with an even more photo heavy thread. These are my favourite colour shots and then secondly my favourite monochrome shots following.

Boats and Blue Skies#1 by NP UK, on Flickr

Boats and Blue Skies#2 by NP UK, on Flickr

Jellyfish by NP UK, on Flickr

Alien or Spider Crab..? by NP UK, on Flickr

Help has Arrived by NP UK, on Flickr

Sunset at Porthmeor Beach, in Cornwall by NP UK, on Flickr

The Island by NP UK, on Flickr

New James Bond Announced by NP UK, on Flickr

Nice selection of pics. I went to St Ives several times a child and have been back 2 or 3 times since. I remember during a storm they launched the lifeboat and it was out most of the day. Apparently a yachtsman had been injured (broken bones and needed to get to hospital but a helicopter was not feasible). We went to the Coastguard on The Island who did supply a regular update. They rescued the Yachtsman then transferred him to a larger vessel which could give him treatment before taking him to plymouth. As soon as the lifeboat left the harbour it seemed to be very small compared to the waves. It left everyone in no doubt about the bravery and their collections were boosted for days after. I was only 12 then but clearly remember.

Nice selection of pics. I went to St Ives several times a child and have been back 2 or 3 times since. I remember during a storm they launched the lifeboat and it was out most of the day. Apparently a yachtsman had been injured (broken bones and needed to get to hospital but a helicopter was not feasible). We went to the Coastguard on The Island who did supply a regular update. They rescued the Yachtsman then transferred him to a larger vessel which could give him treatment before taking him to plymouth. As soon as the lifeboat left the harbour it seemed to be very small compared to the waves. It left everyone in no doubt about the bravery and their collections were boosted for days after. I was only 12 then but clearly remember.
The lifeboat was out anchored just off shore every day but one day they put on a bit of a display near the beach and the obvious power of the boat gave me goosebumps in a similar way to fast jets at airshows do. That alone reminded me how much those things cost and prompted me to make a donation. It's a serious piece of kit.

Nice set of pictures

St Ives is such a tourist trap though, second only to Padstow for high prices. I know, I live in Cornwall. Having said that, I've just been to London and paid £7.20 for a pint of lager, not even St Ives can get away with that.

Back