St Marys Lighthouse - Whitley Bay

Edit My Images
Yes
First post on here, got my 400D for crimbo, been playing with it, but these are my first shots at full manual, like you to tell me what you all think.

IMG_0016_1-1.jpg

IMG_0041_1.jpg

IMG_0044_1.jpg

IMG_0048_1.jpg

IMG_0049_1.jpg

IMG_0051_1.jpg

IMG_0085_1.jpg

Regards,

Mark.

They look a bit soft Mark, not helped by the sky we've had recently. Top marks though for getting differant viewpoints and a couple of good long exposure shots.

Thanks for the input tontoshorse, can you explain soft?

Not focused in well enough?

Need editing?

None of the pics have had anything done to them, straight out of the camera.

The B&W shots are a bit too much white for me, they look better than the others though lol.

Long exposure, i'm loving playing with the settings :)

Omg!...your (Lighthouse) photo's our so dame beautiful...;)...

Hope my work is as good as your's...

Hi Mark and welcome to TP, St Marys is my local patch and i know the area well. Looks like you had very poor light to play with. I do like the motion you have captured in the sea, and your last photo is the best for me but waiting a little longer till it was darker might have set the lighthouse off better.
regards brian.

Thanks for the comments, will try to get the focus a bit sharper.

In general, say, the last shot, where would people focus?

Do you all generally use the center spot, or do you pick a different one?

Cuddy, i'm only up the road at North Shields, cracking bit of coast we have.

Shame the lighting is so poor this week :(

I keep promising myself another trip down to St Marys lighthouse and have been checking the tide info lately in preparation. Do they light it up as in your last shot? Never seen that before!

The tides have been a bit funny the last week or so, low tide hasnt been all that low.

went down to north shields pier today, high tide at 0845, waves were rolling over the top of it. Just checking my pics, dont know if theres any decent ones from today.

Don't know how long the Lighthouse will be lit like that, think it may just be a festive thing?

Best get up & get some shots mate.

Found around 3ish they turn on, but they look much better the darker it gets, also they change from purple to blue.

I keep promising myself another trip down to St Marys lighthouse and have been checking the tide info lately in preparation. Do they light it up as in your last shot? Never seen that before!

They have just installed new lighting as part of an improvement programme. Sometime soon they are also going to repaint it so it will be covered in scaffold and sheeting for a while

hmmm, could make for some interesting shots that!

Back