St Pauls Last night - processing help please

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Harumph! :shake:

Went over to the Tate last night, nice clear skies, and got some practice in. I got some camer shake, though yet to discover if its pressing the shutter button or the tripod just isnt stable enough for the heavier camera [more testing on that tonight in garden if weather permits], however, I need some help. Do these shots look right, over processed, or under processed, or what? I was having trouble with my laptop monitor, so calibrated an old CRT, and so far its been great until I downloaded these.... they look so much better on the laptop, light and colour wise, and look very dark on CRT.... I ran the calibration test again, but no difference....are they too dark? :shrug: :shrug: I tried processing them to get them lighter, but look...well, as if it was misty. Never really had this kind of problem before so would appreciate some pointers.

bridge7.jpg

StPauls.jpg

They probabley are quite dark by a lot of standards but I actually like them as they are (y)

I'm not sure they're too dark, but try just raising the gamma a little. :)

:bonk: Having a moment, can't remember how to do gamma! :(

Thanks Cobra :D

However, played with levels on the smaller versions I have posted here and got these, which look better to me, but I am begining to think I am just having one of those days anyway :cautious:

StPauls2.jpg

bridge21.jpg

Hi - the last set look superb. Although the first set were a little dark they looked fine and moody on my monitor. But the levels tweak has made them jump out much more - lovely job. I feel enthused to try some night shots myself after seeing these:)

Yep - much better. If you look for retaining detail in the shadow areas you wont go far wrong.

Thanks guys. Really have been having one of those days. :bonk:

Confession time - I have been using various and progressive versions of photoshop for some 4 years and now upto CS.... and only just thought to click on the menu option above auto-levels...you know, 'levels' :bang: :embarrassed:

Now then, time to venture further afield of an evening, I do like doing night time stuff, although my 15yr old daughter is a bit fedup of being tripod caddy :LOL: Might do the city at night after I have been on our meet round there in june...then, any ideas for places within driving distance of nth london more than welcome. [ie, within approx 50 miles].

oh, might laso do a bit of careful cloning, get rid of those dratted cranes ;)

Nice shots. I actually prefer the first lot, as you're starting to get a fair bit of noise in the second brighter lot.

Thanks MK, That noise is what I am seeing on my laptop, less so on my b/f's laptop [same model, less usage] and not at all on the CRT :shrug:

Still I suspect if I ask for a shiny new monitor, he might make himself my EX b/f, so for now I shall have to just cope with it and keep asking you lot - sorry guys!:LOL:

I also prefer the first lot. the 2nd lot seem rather noisy, I also dislike that milky glow in the sky.

the 2nd set just pip the 1st. Loved em both (gotta get myself upto London soon)

And remember TFT's need to warm up so may give you different ranges of colour depending on how long they have been on for.

1st set for me too. They feel more like London than the second set. I would have preferred you to have taken a few steps to the left with the first shot. I don't like the bridge so close to the dome.

Other than that well done, i have been wanting the photograph London at night for ages but i'm either there for work (too much other luggage!) or there for partying (don't wnat any luggage!!).

Like these (although would like to see them bigger)

You have a good eye for what works, and like most good images, each of these has got a beginning, middle and end.
Both have got strong lead-in lines that invite you into the scene, and enough mid/background interest to keep you around for a while.
Good work :)

I would possible try, if the image was taken in raw to process two images, one for the highlights and the other shadows. You wont loose all the darkness but the bridge and buildings will stand out more, you will need to use seperate curves though on the bridge and the building but it will give you a punchier image with more depth

Prefer the secons set also - cant remember, did you say you were using CS3 now? If so use the exposure filter and then set your black, mid and white points. Will correct to something similar to your second set but without the noise :)

(y)great images :)
I think the colour / darkness is pot on.
And even though u are using a tripod.. use either a cable realease or the self timer to take the shots to remove any camera shake

Back