Stand for my flash (recommendations please)

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi can anyone recommend a decent telescopic stand to attach my sb 600 too? Ideally I would like one that collapses as low as possible..doesn't need to extend very high but needs to be sturdy..thanks in advance(y)

I have both a Portaflash LS1 and LS3.

LS1 (62-213cm) is the smallest Portaflash lightstand so it's light and collapses quite small.

LS3 (88-325cm) is the biggest Portaflash lightstand so it's heavier and does not go as small, however it does have a larger base than the LS1 so it's a bit more stable. The height on the LS3 is soo big as well

This is the LS3 fully up

DSC02213.jpg

However there is a middle Portaflash lightstand LS2 (85-243cm), not as big as the LS3 but then not as small as the LS1.

Also depending on which one you go for depends where you get it from Jessops or Cameras2u. Cameras2u sell the LS2 for £9.49 where as Jessops is £39.99. LS1 is £34.94 from Cameras2u but Jessops is £34.99. Finally the LS3 is £13.99 Cameras2u, Jessops £44.99. However on Jessops you can do Collect at Store as well as use a 5% code to get money off. So its up to you

:) Many thanks for the reply mate..most of the subjects will either be on the floor or at table height,so wondered if they done a "mini" type stand?

You could also look at table top tripods and clamps, bearing in mind the size and weight of any diffuser you want to use.

Thanks Photon..also will the flash fit straight on the stand in the link I posted or will I need an adaptor of sorts..sorry for the dumb question:help:

There's a smaller Interfit stand, COR759 at foot of page:
http://www.interfitphotographic.com/Accessories/Product Pages/lighting stands.php

Manfrotto adapters:
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/manufacturer~categoryid~158~sub~Adapters+and+Studs~man~Manfrotto.html

You'll need something with 1/4-inch male to screw into the socket of your trigger or cold shoe. This one sorts out tilting and clamping a brolly too:
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~man~Manfrotto~productID~6069~categoryid~158.html
- but safest to find out the dimensions of the stand's head first.

Pocket tripods generally have some kind of head with 1/4-inch screw, so then you only need to lash on the brolly or use a smaller flash-mounted diffuser. For stability you could screw the tripod to a piece of MDF bigger than its leg-spread.

For the adaptor I just use (when using umbrella's) the Manfrotto one that photon said. I have one of these on top thou which sorts out the flash to 1/4".

When I'm not using umbrellas I just use one(well three in my case) of these little hot shoes. Very useful. The tilt as well which is good and have a 1/4" thread on the bottom so just go straight onto the light stand.

Hope that helps you out a bit more, maybe

:) Cheers mate..that tilt one looks just the kiddy..cheap as chips too,but will do for all I need at present thanks both for the info.(y)

hiya,
I've got ann SB600 & i use a cheapo basic tripod from jessops. The speedlight stand just screws onto it.
Seems to work fine for me, maybe not that solid if you kick it, but i use it around kids & it works good enough for me.

(y) Thanks mate forgot about the stand that comes with the flash..just got to get in the loft and hunt the box out..:D

i just got my portaflash ls2 after cherryrigs recomendation, its well solid i used it today. buying it from cameras to you its cheap as chips!

anybody ever used the portaflash with a 430EX or 580EXII??

bargain! but what do you use to get the flash unit to affix to the stand?

Back