Star trails over Northern Lights

They are mostly a winter thing as its so dark all night :)

Great shot, been there a few times. What body and lens were you using?

All done in photoshop using stacked layers and lighten blending mode.

Fabulous image. Sounds as though you had to do a lot of PP to produce it (I've never got on top of 'layers' though I tried hard with 'The Gimp'), but the result justifies all the effort you put in. That sky puts me in mind of a painting by Munch- fascinating!

Excellent shot. Is that also a sunset in the background, just above the horizon? Kind of looks surreal!

Nice work - I really don't think I'd have the patience to do all the stacking malarkey!

As long as it gets dark and they are about you can see them a far as I know - they had a massive display on 27th August in Iceland (so miffed I visited the week after!), and I think they first spotted on 15th I think.

Excellent shot. Is that also a sunset in the background, just above the horizon? Kind of looks surreal!
Thanks - its not a sunset, its the light from some streetlights in the distance mixed with the aurora.

Nice work - I really don't think I'd have the patience to do all the stacking malarkey!
Its actually surprisingly easy. Leave the camera on continous shooting mode at 30 second exposures (I used a cheap remote with the shutter locked on). Import the files into photo shop as layers then one click to adjust the blending mode. Takes 2 minutes - quite cool when the result pops up on your screen.

Thanks - its not a sunset, its the light from some streetlights in the distance mixed with the aurora.

Its actually surprisingly easy. Leave the camera on continous shooting mode at 30 second exposures (I used a cheap remote with the shutter locked on). Import the files into photo shop as layers then one click to adjust the blending mode. Takes 2 minutes - quite cool when the result pops up on your screen.

oh yes, that does sound easy. it always sounds like a lot of precise work and im not very precise :p

Back