Starling with 1.4 converter advise required

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought a 1.4 canon tC as it arrived today thought I would try it in the garden, not much about and these are not great shots, using the 100 -400 l canon, I tried taping the pins but still no auto focus, which was disappointing as some do manage to get the autofocus to work
these are both hand held and I think are acceptable in terms of quality as were hand held
anybody else used a tc with this lens?

8385973d.jpg

6b5a0c16.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited:
Mine doesn't work with the 7D, nor 50D, the last one I managed to get them to work by taping the pins using that lens was the 40D.

I couldn't get the 2x MK2 to autofucus with my 7D+100-400L either (no matter what I did) - oh well.

It will only work on 1D mk whatever onwards when you go to the longer of the lens, it goes to f8 and won't focus.

ah, i had heard various stuff, but thought some had got the autofucus to work with the 1.4, TC but it was pretty hit and miss.

will have to practice my manual focusing as I love the extra reach it has given me until I can afford the 400mm f2.8:whistle::whistle:

You may find it works a little better when using one of the outer focus points David - taping the pins worked very well up to the 30D but after that AF enhancements, especially to the centre focus point, made it become almost a non starter or at best very sluggish. Some people can live with the poor AF with a taped tc whereas most give it up as a bad job.

You may find it works a little better when using one of the outer focus points David - taping the pins worked very well up to the 30D but after that AF enhancements, especially to the centre focus point, made it become almost a non starter or at best very sluggish. Some people can live with the poor AF with a taped tc whereas most give it up as a bad job.

Thanks Roy
will have a play with the advice given above, at the end of the day the AF would be a bonus, but I am very pleased with the TC so far, think it will come into its own from a hide of a tripod,

One thing I dont understand though is why it knocks the f stop to F8, I thought it would only cost me 1 f stop?

Back