Beginner Starter books for Xmas

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm going out in the next few days Xmas shopping. I know it's boring but looking for a book for my eleven year old nephew who is just starting out.
Needs to be simple language and help him cover basics. I know it's better teaching yourself and learning by trial and error but his mum suggested this idea. Thanks for any ideas

Why not take him out for a shoot and spend some time explaining what you're doing in language he will understand?
You could even print a voucher for him to spend with you for lessons. Nothing like a home made prezzy with some thought behind it IMO

I'd suggest books of photos to stimulate inspiration, rather than any technique based book to stifle it! That should give him ideas to try, and can generate discussions about different aspects of the images he likes - why they work, what techniques might have been involved in taking them, etc.

I'd suggest books of photos to stimulate inspiration, rather than any technique based book to stifle it! That should give him ideas to try, and can generate discussions about different aspects of the images he likes - why they work, what techniques might have been involved in taking them, etc.
Thus a wide-reaching compendium rather than a monograph. What's the budget? How about http://uk.phaidon.com/store/photography/photography-today-9780714845630/ ? He can get more of a historical perspective later, if he sticks with it.

Michael Freeman's 'The Photographer's Eye' is very good as it gives you inspiration but also tells you why you like what you're seeing but isn't about "technique":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Photographers-Eye-Composition-Photographs/dp/1905814046
A worthy thought, though I tend to find his books over-analytical.

As far as the mechanics are concerned, no doubt you can tutor him on the so-called exposure triangle, which scarcely needs a book, but is better learnt by doing, once aware of the principles ...

Last edited:
Thanks for words of advice, very helpful as usual. A lesson has given me food for thought! Would love him to improve and will help in anyway possible, just wish somebody had taken the time to encourage me as my dad when sober, not often said photography is for wimps and women. Shudder

what camera does he have? I always found the photographers field guides good as they give real world examples at the end of the book.. ie. fireworks, water, portraits etc

Back