Beginner Starting out again.

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Times were tough and I sold my old 20D after being made redundant, now things are on the up and it's time I got something better than the camera on my phone.
My budget is a maximum of £500, I have a few trips away this year (Already missed one which a decent camera would have been wonderful but never mind) which will mean lots of photo's but these could be action/sport, wildlife, landscape, city scapes and people so a real mixed bag.
I've been scouring various used selections and can't seem to decide what to buy.
I have no allegiance to any manufacturer.
So far I have looked at the 60/600/700D's all around the £300-350 mark, and the D3200/5100 around the £250-300 mark including the 18-55, this would then allow me to add lenses, but what lenses should I add?
My thoughts are either stick to the standard Canon kit lenses 18-55 55-200, or maybe mixing things up with a 18-135 or 75-300 and a nifty fifty if funds allow, with Nikon have been looking at the 55-200 , 18-105, and 135-400.
But really I don't have a clue so would appreciate any advice, could I just get away with one lens to suit the majority of intended uses which would allow me to spend extra on a body? In which case I'd be looking at a D7000, but what lens bearing in mind my budget?
The cheaper I can keep the cost will allow for items such as a bag and a tripod.
I have no doubt that I will add to the kit in time but for the next few months it will be whatever I buy within this budget.

There will be people here far more qualified in using that type of kit than me as I only own 1 zoom lens for my OMD and 0 for my Nikon. I'd suggest a prime like a 35 1.8DX or similar, but then that doesn't look like it would remotely suit your style! :)

But an exciting time ahead for you! I hope you enjoy whatever you end up with. for 500quid it will be a nice setup!

If you go with canon then 18-55 plus 55-250 is a good combination the 75- 300 imho isn't as good. If you are used to canon then stay with it or just change

Just to add to the above, the 40d is a great upgrade from the 20d, the cameras you've listed could frustrate you due to their ergonomics.

A used one is peanuts and IMHO a much better use of your money. In fact you might be able to squeeze in the 70-200 f4 second hand too instead of the 55-250.

Just to add to the above, the 40d is a great upgrade from the 20d, the cameras you've listed could frustrate you due to their ergonomics.

A used one is peanuts and IMHO a much better use of your money. In fact you might be able to squeeze in the 70-200 f4 second hand too instead of the 55-250.

My mate produces great images on a 40D. He bought the 60D as an upgrade and sold it not long after because he loved his 40D. MPBPhotographic have them for under £150 ;) Might get them cheaper elsewhere but that's the only place I looked.

I would decide on your lens first. The biggest part of the budget should go to your lens. A good lens like the suggested 70-200 f/4 and matching it up to a XXD body on th canon system is a no brainier. As for the normal walk around lens, that depends on what focal lengths and type of photography you like. The 18-55 is a good al lrounder when its come to short focal length zoom lens.

Back