Starting simple - 600mm f4

• Thread starter Deleted member 34935
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34935

First trip out with the 600mm f4, with a D700 gripped went well, had one scary moment where the lens was unbalanced and so dropped dramatically when I let go of it. Heart was thumping after that!

600mm f4 VR, D700

Starlings

This picture is currently featured on the BBC website, which is always a bonus.

Today marked my first real sit in session with my gear, went down early this morning and setup my gear, whilst trying to keep myself warm and dry. Got 240 shots in a 4 hour period and about 10 minutes of video, which I'm just putting together.

600mm f4 VR, 1.4x TC and D3s

Curve

Setup and location

You can view a few more on my stream.

there appears to be a white square on the left hand side though about half way up?

My attempt at content aware fill since I use CS4, my D700 had a nasty dust bunny. I didn't notice till I got them up on the big screen! It would pay to chimp more often...

Last edited by a moderator:
So, do you say in the same spot for 4 hours? It might be the impact this sites having on me, but I suddenly have the urge to do some wildlife photography. It seems so much more relaxing than other things I've done.

Really like the first one, and the 2nd has such wonderful colour tones to it. Though I'd expect good colour from a crazy lens like that!

Never seen a duck do that, either!

So, do you say in the same spot for 4 hours?

I used to move around between spots, but the gear takes 10 minutes to setup (I imagine it will get quicker with practice) and its really heavy, so until I get a bit fitter I just dig myself into a good spot with a bag to keep my backside dry and some provisions in the form of sandwiches, coke and water.

It seems so much more relaxing than other things I've done.

Its really relaxing, when I first turned up they were on the other side of the water so I just had to wait for them to come closer so for an hour I had the sound of rushing water and was on twitter, bbc news and TP forum app on the old iPhone, when they came closer spent 2 hours photographing them, until they flew away, waited another hour and the light got bad so I left. If you've got the time its such a rewarding experience.

you dropped a 600mm prime ?

Haha, no way, the head dropped backwards on the tripod because it was unbalanced, just looked like it was falling!

Wow... 18 year old student with a D3s, D700 and 600mm f4?!! :puke:

Serious gear envy here but good luck to you, just make sure you post the results on here ;) (y)

18 year old student with a D3s, D700 and 600mm f4?!!

haha..

I'm actually working as a commercial photographer who maintains a wildlife stock library as well as on commision sports projects.

I'm in Venice at the moment, but got some plans to go out shooting again on Friday and this weekend so you can look forward to some more stuff then! Cheers for the comments.

A nice start and I`m sure your going to have a lot of fun once you get used to the new gear,the weight soon disappears and is replaced by anticipation! :D

Ross

I used to move around between spots, but the gear takes 10 minutes to setup (I imagine it will get quicker with practice) and its really heavy, so until I get a bit fitter I just dig myself into a good spot with a bag to keep my backside dry and some provisions in the form of sandwiches, coke and water.

Its really relaxing, when I first turned up they were on the other side of the water so I just had to wait for them to come closer so for an hour I had the sound of rushing water and was on twitter, bbc news and TP forum app on the old iPhone, when they came closer spent 2 hours photographing them, until they flew away, waited another hour and the light got bad so I left. If you've got the time its such a rewarding experience.

Haha, no way, the head dropped backwards on the tripod because it was unbalanced, just looked like it was falling!

Coke AND water, no wonder you dropped the lens!!:puke:

Back