Steve.82's late 52 - 34 season

Edit My Images
Yes
As above really. I think a week gives me long enough to think properly about what I'm doing instead of panic snatching shots and not really learning anything? But I am a bit late!

Anyone mind if I tag along for the rest of the year?

Last edited:
Good stuff, will be sure to have a nose round at others!

Hmmm... season...

Gone on a slightly different tack here, more seasons of the year. Would have liked a combine but they're all pretty much done round here.

Tiiiiny little apple tree that has a very dead and hollow looking trunk but still manages to fruit well.

IMG_6795.jpg

Phew! first one done! :)

Hmmmm, thinking some slight croppage on both sides to get shot of the far right tree and a few houses may help?

Hi Steve and welcome aboard!
It's always good to see someone else join up - I started midway through too and it really is a great learning experience.

I'm glad that you managed to find some inspiration for this, as you've read, I found this week a real struggle.
I like your take on the theme, it's definitely apple season at the moment, so a good fit for this week.

There's some lovely movement from the wind in the grass and I think I can actually make out some red apples on the tree. It would be nice to see the detail a bit closer though, so your idea of further cropping should really work.
I think I'd go a bit more extreme than your suggestion and make it a portrait crop to really put the tree as the main subject of the composition.

p.s. Don't worry that you've not had much feedback yet. I never look at anyone else's shot until I've got mine in for the week (usually Sunday evening) and I think a lot of the others do the same.

Last edited:
Hi Steve and welcome aboard!
It's always good to see someone else join up - I started midway through too and it really is a great learning experience.

I'm glad that you managed to find some inspiration for this, as you've read, I found this week a real struggle.
I like your take on the theme, it's definitely apple season at the moment, so a good fit for this week.

There's some lovely movement from the wind in the grass and I think I can actually make out some red apples on the tree. It would be nice to see the detail a bit closer though, so your idea of further cropping should really work.
I think I'd go a bit more extreme than your suggestion and make it a portrait crop to really put the tree as the main subject of the composition.

p.s. Don't worry that you've not had much feedback yet. I never look at anyone else's shot until I've got mine in for the week (usually Sunday evening) and I think a lot of the others do the same.

Gone halfway and done a squarish crop... I quite like it and it still keeps the peak of the hill in the background.

IMG_6795b.jpg

I won't lie, I was unsure about this, until you prested it with the square crop. It works so much better, and has a way better impact. Really like the second shot, well done (y)

Welcome to the 52s...:wave:

Sorry I like the first shot more...

The sky and hills make for a great looking landscape, yes crop some from the left of the shot, and mybe a tad from the bottom and top, the squares not working for me, a long and slimmer frame would look stunning.

Just try it you got nothing to lose...(y)

Ps that's the problem on this site you get lots of different answers...:LOL:

First one for me too :) I agree with Kennysarmy - a little more contrast lower down would have boosted it :)

And welcome to the 52ers :) Look forward to more :)

and a big welcome from me too, Steve. :wave:

I like the composition of the first image very much. It gives a good sense of the landscape (in your part of the world, I assume?) Yes, it would be good to see a little more light in the foreground, but it looks like the weather was difficult! :)

The cropped image is a different animal althogether and imo is a good illustration how cropping and totally change an image. I can't say it's 'better' or 'worse', because it's taken on a whole new life. I really like it - composition, sense of place and a dramatic sky. (y)

Jean

Thanks for the comments chaps! Nice welcoming start for me :)

I think the first one would definitely look better to me in print, But on screen I can see the main issue of not really being able to see the apples, which after all are really all that stop this being just another tree photo.

Yip, it's in a field next to the workshop :)

The hill on the top right was ace last winter with 12" of powder for snowboarding!!

Will try and have a look at everyone elses efforts on this theme later in the week, but just popped home to grab some bits before heading off to Devon camping.

Thanks again for the comments, may well have another go at reprocessing this image!

Both of these are nice shots Steve. As Jean said, the cropping really changes it, If I had to pick one it, I'd pick the second.

Good stuff.

Thanks Toothie :)

Ohhhh dear I'm late already! Accidentally ended up official tog at a showjumping championship on the weekend so been ploughing through nearly 500 raw's....

I'll get on this asap!

Very nice start Steve, welcome to the 52's. Tough to decide, I think I prefer the 2nd.

Back