Stillness over the Old Airfield...

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
A landscape that tells a story quietly...

A surviving section of taxiway. There were hardstandings and a huge hangar here, and for a few short months 67 years ago, the bustle of activity and the roar of aircraft engines. All is still now.

DSC_7266PHDRB.jpg

The footprints left in the concrete by the young engineers from America, in 1942. You can place your feet in them, stand where they stood and wonder what they saw all those years ago, and what their futures held, and where they are today.

DSC_7357HDRB.jpg

This track that runs across the fields once carried the aircrew from the briefing room to the waiting planes in columns of Jeeps and trucks, and at the end of missions, long forgotten tragedies passed back the other way, to the hospital and mortuary which lay beyond the trees. Now the peace is broken only by farm machinery, riders, and occasional walkers.

DSC_7359PHDRB.jpg

Dusk falling over a small remaining section of taxiway, cut down to the width of a farm track ahead, and all gone behind. Twin engined B26 bombers used to queue here in line, awaiting their turn, as in March 1945 did the tugs and gliders carrying apprehensive young men to their fates in Operation Varsity, the Rhine Crossings.

DSC_7346HDRB.jpg

Last edited:
Your images send a chill of nostalgic down my spine - as a kid at school I used to play Spitfires and Hurricanes with the other kids after watching newsreels of British Fighters reaching for the sky from airfields such as this. During a tour of Britain in 1990 I was reminded of those times as we drove down the M15 through Peterborough towards London with RAF Harriers roaring overhead.

Last edited:
Thankyou Mark.

What RAF base did it used to be?

RAF Chipping Ongar, locally Willingale, in Essex. Constructed over 11 months in 42/43 with concrete sufficient to build 45 miles of dual lane road, 3 runways, peritrack, 52 odd hardstandings and accommodation for nearly 3000 men, operations area, motor pool, admin site, technical site, armouries, bomb stores, sewage works. Active with 387th Bomb Group flying B26 Marauders for 13 months 43/44, and briefly by 61st Troop Carrier Group in March 1945. Inactive and unoccupied by late 1945, held in Care & Maintenance and finally disposed of in 1959. Concrete taken up in the 1960s.

Today it has reverted back entirely to arable farmland, with only traces of its brief former existence visible, to those who look. There is not even a memorial to the young men who served here.

Whoops ... you just got in before me Horrocks. My guess was going to be Great Saling, latterly known as Andrews Field.

your words really brought those pics to life for me, very evocative and thought provoking :)

Mustard, you've got it. That aerial was taken late in the very dry summer 2003 I think, and if you look carefully you can see not only the runways and service roads etched out in the crops, but the ghosts of the pre-1942 field boundaries, and even the long forgotten roads that ran across the landscape here.

Back