Stob Dearg, pic added

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Not getting out much these days with other things taking priority but here's an older photograph requested by a publisher that needed a wee clean up. Much happier with the result, over did the split toning in the original.

Stob Dearg by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

All, good, the composition, shutter speed and light are superb.

I fancy a trip here soon, I toyed with going today actually, it looks like it's going to be still later on but I can't drag myself away from my kingfisher.

Fantastic atmosphere in this.
Very nice indeed.

I love it as it is Scott and it also works for cropped just above the patterned rock in the water

Cheers folks, appreciate the kind comments.
It's midge season now so think I'll just barricade myself in until they sod off some time in the early autumn.

Best time to be out in Scotland for me.

Shot is from a lovely pov height wise Scott, and nice to view it relatively large on screen.

Cheers folks, appreciate the kind comments.
It's midge season now so think I'll just barricade myself in until they sod off some time in the early autumn.

They are not that bad very just annoying. It's not like they can give ebola. I'll have to go just to test my new citronella soap, only wish it stops raining. In theory it should make them less keen, just by how much?

They are not that bad very just annoying. It's not like they can give ebola. I'll have to go just to test my new citronella soap, only wish it stops raining. In theory it should make them less keen, just by how much?

I don’t mind them. Give me midges over bears and wolves, snakes and crocodiles, lions and tigers etc.

Wildlife wise we have it so good here it’s unreal.

I’ve never bothered with repellents. I just go all in shorts and taps aff if it’s warm enough.

The image. Nice but the composition I think could do with a bit more space around the right hand side of the mountain. It just seems a bit rammed in against the edge.

Lovely shot Scott
Cheers Neil.

I don’t mind them. Give me midges over bears and wolves, snakes and crocodiles, lions and tigers etc.

Wildlife wise we have it so good here it’s unreal.

I’ve never bothered with repellents. I just go all in shorts and taps aff if it’s warm enough.

The image. Nice but the composition I think could do with a bit more space around the right hand side of the mountain. It just seems a bit rammed in against the edge.

I like the composition, there's nowt rammed in anywhere. It's a carefully consider composition executed exactly how I wanted it down to the rocks on the left river bank not breaking in to the sky and the steep embankment on the right not impacting on the picture.
Thanks and mind the tics when out in shorts and T's, they're rife.

Really lovely image. I have to say that the stone the right hand side makes it for me.
Me too, thanks.
Unfortunately it is no longer there. Returned a few days later to find it gone, suspect it has been washed downstream after heavy rainfall. It'll turn up at the classic spot in about 10 years time. :D

Its okay I suppose lad - nicely framed and just the right amount of space. Cracking tones.

You are right about the ticks - sneaky little bits. Coming up with the boy in August sometime so will give you a shout.

Its okay I suppose lad - nicely framed and just the right amount of space. Cracking tones.

You are right about the ticks - sneaky little bits. Coming up with the boy in August sometime so will give you a shout.
Aye, give us a shout. Might take my first picture of the year. :D

That is a really good take on an endlessly photographed mountain (it is very photogenic). You have made the huge mass of the mountain really dominate the picture. Wish I had taken that shot.

Been meaning to comment on this for the last couple of days but been side tracked. Anyway Outdoor Photography magazine landed through the letter box this morning and I immediately thought 'Hey I've seen that image before!' Well done on getting it published Scott. Very evocative and the light is lovely. Well chosen shutter speed for the water and a nice composition too.

Just got Outdoor Photography this morning and the cover image looks very familiar! Looks great in print.
Been meaning to comment on this for the last couple of days but been side tracked. Anyway Outdoor Photography magazine landed through the letter box this morning and I immediately thought 'Hey I've seen that image before!' Well done on getting it published Scott. Very evocative and the light is lovely. Well chosen shutter speed for the water and a nice composition too.
Cheers guys, well chuffed to get a front cover. Didn't realise it was out so soon, thought it was going to be on the cover of Septembers issue.

Last edited:
Love this Scott! As others have said ive seen hundreds of images of that mountain but this stands out.

Was it focus stacked? Its nice and sharp from foreground to background.

Love this Scott! As others have said ive seen hundreds of images of that mountain but this stands out.

Was it focus stacked? Its nice and sharp from foreground to background.
Hi Ben, thanks. I've shot this mountain hundreds of time, so much so I've sickened myself. But usually tried to look for something a little different so thanks for saying. Not stacked, just one raw file at f/14, iso 250, 1/10th sec @ 21mm. I wouldn't normally stop a lens down to f/14 but needed the DOF.

I have many pictures of that lump but to date this is still my favourite taken a long time ago. It went rapidly downhill from then on. :D

Moody Buachaille II by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back