Stock Photography

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

This is probably a stupid question but I've just had some photos approved for a stock photography website. I also have a landscape photography album on my facebook page with the same pictures on, should I remove those pictures as I guess anyone could just download them from my facebook page negating the purpose of having them available to buy ?

Anyone else had been in the same scenario ?

The stock websites quite often state on the upload section that you are giving them exclusive use of the photos.
I don't post any photos that I get accepted by the stock websites on facebook, if I did I would post them with watermarks to ensure people don't steal them.

Reactions: smr
The stock websites quite often state on the upload section that you are giving them exclusive use of the photos.
I don't post any photos that I get accepted by the stock websites on facebook, if I did I would post them with watermarks to ensure people don't steal them.

So I guess in future I should upload my images for stock review, if they are accepted then don't bother adding them to flickr, facebook etc. or anywhere else, but if they aren't accepted then I can add them to social media etc. I guess I could put copyright logos all over them but then what's the point really as it detracts from the image.

I would imagine your Facebook and Flickr images are far smaller resolution to stock shots. You could always watermark them anyway if you felt they were vulnerable.

So I guess in future I should upload my images for stock review, if they are accepted then don't bother adding them to flickr, facebook etc. or anywhere else, but if they aren't accepted then I can add them to social media etc. I guess I could put copyright logos all over them but then what's the point really as it detracts from the image.

I post most photos to flickr that get accepted by the stock sites.
If one them contacted me saying they have also seen my photos on flickr I would argue that they can not be downloaded from flickr.

I would imagine your Facebook and Flickr images are far smaller resolution to stock shots. You could always watermark them anyway if you felt they were vulnerable.

Yeah that's correct, I have disabled downloading of my flickr shots as well. And facebook compresses the life out of the image quality.

whilst we are on the subject I have tried getting my head around getty images/ istock but from what I can gather the only way to upload images for review is with their contributor app, so from smart phone etc. I'm surprised you can't upload them directly from a computer.

whilst we are on the subject I have tried getting my head around getty images/ istock but from what I can gather the only way to upload images for review is with their contributor app, so from smart phone etc. I'm surprised you can't upload them directly from a computer.

If I remember correctly, they also allow you to use ftp from a computer.
I gave up trying to get photos on the likes of getty, shutterstock is the best one for me.

If you are a direct Getty Images or IStock contributor then you upload through their ESP system. This is the case for both images and footage. I've never seen FTP as an option and I've been submitting since 2011/ 2012 at Getty.

You can absolutely put your images onto the likes of Flickr etc to promote you and your work. No image library would take that away from you.

As to who is best. If you have the right sort of contract at Getty then you can earn decent money. I know a few people of late who have been given a contract but it's only for their Moment collection and not like I'm lucky to have which is the RM/ RF house collection.

The problem being you can't seem to sign up for their ESP system anywhere. As far as I can gather you have to upload sample images via their app for approval, which I presume then means you can get an ESP login, if your images are approved. But my images are on my computer so it's unneeded hassle really.

Have you signed up for exclusivity with any stock site?, these days, just starting out it is not worth it.

If not you can upload to as many stock sites as you wish and have your images on social media sites.

I've been uploading on stock sites from 2009, whittled down to six now , let me know if you have any further questions, glad to help.

Back