Stock up on the beef ladies and gentlemen, Foot & Mouth is back...

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Confirmed outbreak in Surrey.
Link to BBC

Cattle at a farm in Surrey have been found to be infected with foot-and-mouth disease.

Animals on a farm near Guildford have tested positive for the disease which swept the UK and wreaked havoc in 2001.

A three-kilometre protection zone has been put in place around the premises and a UK-wide ban imposed on movement of all livestock.

In accordance with the legislation, all the cattle on the premises will be culled, said a government spokesman.

The farm has been under restrictions since late on Thursday when symptoms were reported.

Debby Reynolds, UK Chief Veterinary Officer, has confirmed the outbreak after samples were taken from the farm.

She said: "We are trying to form a picture of where the infection may have come from but at the moment it's very early stages."

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has taken part by telephone in a Cobra meeting, involving top staff at the Cabinet Office.

He is returning to London on Saturday from his holiday in Dorset and Environment Secretary Hilary Benn is to break off from his vacation in Italy.

Ms Reynolds advised farmers across the UK to examine their animals carefully and immediately report anything suspicious.

As well as the three Kilometre protection zone, there is also a 10 kilometre surveillance zone where nearby animals are monitored.

'Chaos' last time

National Farmers' Union President Peter Kendall said: "This is a matter of grave concern. We have an industry still depressed from low prices.

"We have to ensure this is a small isolated incident. We are working with the government to ensure the right steps are taken."

Tim Bonner, from the Countryside Alliance, said: "Even the words 'foot-and-mouth' will send a chill through the spine of every farmer in the country.

"We hope for a better response this time from the government - the last time it was chaos."

Yes thats what I thought... BSE is Mad Cow disease........I know.. because I AM one!!!

Foot & Mouth is different altogether......you cant get the newsreaders these days can you!!!

Bolt guns to the ready chaps. Good job the armed forces aren't away fighting the war on terror in two countries and on operations in several more eh.

Foot & Mouth is indeed what I meant :embarrassed:

I'm a city boy so I have excuses :D

Mary had a little lamb
It's feet was covered in blisters
Now it's lying in a ditch
with all it's brothers and sisters!

Mary had a little lamb
She kept in a byre
It went and caught foot and mouth
So she chucked it on the fire

Janice - I await you...

Having lived through two outbreaks of this dreaded disease & having seen first hand the effect it has on the livestock rearing areas both in terms of the families concerned & the effect on the rural ecomomy I think you we should show a little respect for the folks concerned in this latest outbreak. It is not funny seeing your livestock being taken & shot then burned.

Sawman - no disrespect meant - I was bought up in a farming area, so grew up with it in the late 60's, and have some understanding of how hard it can be. Sorry to seem to be being flippant..

Sawman - no disrespect meant - I was bought up in a farming area, so grew up with it in the late 60's, and have some understanding of how hard it can be. Sorry to seem to be being flippant..

No probs. At the time of the last outbreak I was travelling around rural areas of Scotland organising timber haulage into the Dumfries area. I met a few farmers who had there livestock burned & I will never forget the smoke & the smell.
I was even accused by some as being a carrier of the disease as I moved around the country. All the lorries were sprayed with disinfectant before leaving the Dumfries area & I carried a spray in my vehicle which I used before coming off road to go into the forest. Even had a grown man cry on me when he thought they were coming for his animals. It is a horrible disease.

My memories were of moving from London to a village, and having to walk through the dips/foot washing things every time I went to see my friend, who's father lost a lot of his animals, and they ended up selling and moving away, so I lost my friend. Not as hard as your experiences, but enough, as it sort of marked the start of the end of that part of the village life.

Watching Sky News this morning..:(

This is going to be serious, Talking about a total ban on cattle movement..:thumbsdown:

2002 all over again..:shake:

Talking about a total ban on cattle movement..:thumbsdown:

It said last night there IS a total ban on cattle movement, unless authorised via a special license.

I think this time people might be more 'prepared' if thats the right word, and realise how serious it is/can be.

Errrrr...Marcel... I love you loads and all that, and I too am a Manc, but even I know the diff between F&M and MCD :LOL:

Hehe I have no idea why I said BSE.....:doh:

Please do not read too much into this outbreak. it is totally different than the last one.

DO NOT SCARE MONGER :bang:

You would be hard pressed to eat infected foodstuff. It takes weeks for beef cattle to reach our table.

Beef in this country is TOTALLY SAFE.

Support British Beef.

Please do not read too much into this outbreak. it is totally different than the last one.

Your gonna wish you hadn't said that in a few days if this takes off like it did in 2002.

DO NOT SCARE MONGER :bang:

I really can't see anyone scare mongering in this thread tiler..:thinking:

Support British Beef.

Totally agree. The farming is almost knackered now without this rearing its ugly head again..:thumbsdown:

So yet again with various hunting (open) seasons imminent,
there is a " reported" out break of a transmittable disease in the
countryside.
Cynical? me ? too bloody right I am!
Chris

I dont think we should be encouraging people to panic buy beef...

You'll have Tesco's Sainsbury's Waitrose et al after you Joe :D

Good God. How will the middle classes of Guildford cope with it.....

The Daily Mail`ll have a field day!

Mind you, I did see the last report in which the Chief vet has said there`s a possibility that the outbreak may have escaped from their own laboratory three miles down the road!

I love Beef, me.
[S4]BUY BRITISH[/S4]
Dean:)

A little close to home for me - Guildford is only up the road!

Me too.

Did you see the people on the news saying they were going to have to bring water to their horses?

I didn`t know they did Perrier bottles that big......:LOL:

Did I hear correctly on BBC earlier that it's thought to have come from a government research lab about 2 miles up the road that were testing with the disease at the time?

Does that not strike anyone else as unimaginably ****ing stupid?

"Where shall we carry out experiments on this cattle disease?"
'Right next to that cattle farm will be good!'

...i'm lost for words frankly.

Having lived through two outbreaks of this dreaded disease & having seen first hand the effect it has on the livestock rearing areas both in terms of the families concerned & the effect on the rural ecomomy I think you we should show a little respect for the folks concerned in this latest outbreak. It is not funny seeing your livestock being taken & shot then burned.

Nearly all livestock get shot anyway. And then we eat them. :shrug:

Did I hear correctly on BBC earlier that it's thought to have come from a government research lab about 2 miles up the road that were testing with the disease at the time?

Does that not strike anyone else as unimaginably ****ing stupid?

"Where shall we carry out experiments on this cattle disease?"
'Right next to that cattle farm will be good!'

...i'm lost for words frankly.

Yup, it's been tested and confirmed it's exactly the same strain as the lab just down the road

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6931858.stm

Someone is going to get their arses kicked for this one.

anyone who thinks farmers get a raw deal out of this financially doesnt understand how much farmers were paid at the last outbreak. I know of several farmers who made an absolute killing on the last outbreak. (stories of farmers earning so much they paid off their mortgage) Defra as they are now called were chucking money at people to disinfect other farms if the farmers were unable to do it themselves (physically or emotionally i suppose) I know many farmers used the oppertunity to cut and run and retire with a nice healthy pay out from the Govt' for all their animals.

Understandably the emotional aspects are horrendous - but if you can detach yourself from the situation enough there was (and may be) a lot of money to be made.

Tis sad news if it does turn into a similar situation as the last outbreak.

anyone who thinks farmers get a raw deal out of this financially doesnt understand how much farmers were paid at the last outbreak. I know of several farmers who made an absolute killing on the last outbreak. (stories of farmers earning so much they paid off their mortgage) Defra as they are now called were chucking money at people to disinfect other farms if the farmers were unable to do it themselves (physically or emotionally i suppose)

Sorry but at £150 to £1,100 for cattle and from £12 to £150 for sheep paid out by Defra that's absolute rubbish, no one could have got rich. Many of my friends gave up farming after the last outbreak. They had to wait around 2 years to be paid and many were declared bankrupt. Having your animals killed in your fields and stacked up in a pile to them be burn is NOT FUN!

With just about all farm animals in Cumbria wiped out at the last outbreak I for one hope no one has to go through that again.

I know of several farmers who made an absolute killing on the last outbreak.

Just super wording there dude :p I do hope its not 2001 again. I remember being at Alton Towers and they had things to clean your feet as you came and went.

Back