Stolen Photo from Oulton Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

bod

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, it finally happened to me. A photo of Sir Stirling Moss I took at Outon Park has been lifted from my Facebook page and used on Ruth's Racy Adventures.

I sent a message asking for credit and received a rather rude response telling me to "save your drama for somebody who knows who you are".

Not nice.

A real shame as I like the blog, and would happily let her use as many photos as she liked in return for credit. I know she gives Matt credit so why not me?

guys- basic Q here i know but why do *** on here put there good pics on FB ?
My works crap so far but i still thought it would be a basic principle to not put your work on FB for that very reason.

am i missing somthing ?
i suppose images can be lifted from any site ?

apologies if i'm missing a very important point here and please feel free to enlighten me with it lol.

I put my stuff on FB to share with my friends. I shouldn't have to stop doing that for any reason - I'm not the one breaking the law.

sorry can people give me a quick up to speed on this kinda thing.
she stole an image off a web pg.
Bod has the copywright as he took the pic.
what the official way to deal with this kind of thing.
whats the most common way to deal with it ?
thanks

Rude bitch, I'd be right back onto her with a nice invoice for web usage, doubled for unauthorised use.

Whatever you do, DON'T let it go.

Is your work watermarked? Much less likely to be stolen.

I know you can remove/crop watermarks, but it would be a pain in the arse.

And re this issue, def send an invoice.

My works crap so far but i still thought it would be a basic principle to not put your work on FB for that very reason.

am i missing somthing ?
i suppose images can be lifted from any site ?

apologies if i'm missing a very important point here and please feel free to enlighten me with it lol.

Because if you don't share your work what's the point in taking the picture to begin with. No point painting a canvas then locking it up so no one can steel the idea or take a picture of it etc...

One of the reasons I thought about using the creative commons license for my images is that as a hobbyist I didn't want to spend time chasing people down over unauthorised use and getting myself all flustered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't like watermarks - I think they ruin my work. Again, I'm not the one doing wrong so why should I have to suffer?

I'm not interested in getting any money out of her either. All I want is credit for my work. I'm just really pee'd off at her response to my request for credit. I didn't expect that at all.

It's a proper shame because she's a marshall at Oulton, and I have a huge amount of respect for the people who give up their time so that we can have race meetings. Up till now I've found them to be the nicest and friendliest people at the track. Now I'd advise Oulton photographers to keep an eye on the blog in case it happens again.

Well maybe she has sublicensed it from Facebook.. re Facebook terms:

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

Oh and what does "use" mean then?

By "use" we mean use, copy, publicly perform or display, distribute, modify, translate, and create derivative works of.

Basically, anything you put on facebook.. forget about restricting it's use.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't unload on the miss rude there though!

Facebook's term state you retain copyright, so as she appears to have shunned your very reasonable request I'd bill her the going rate for unauthorized use.

Invoice her (although as i presume you were a spectator you dont have the right to sell your work if it was taken at one of the larger circuits). If she doesnt settle or remove the offending item then contact the web host, perhaps threaten small claims court. As she is a marshal threaten to report her to the circuits.

It is stealing, if she does it once then she will do it again to other people.

Explain also that you would of been happy to provide the image FOC if it hadn't been for her attitude.

On another note the quality of the image she has managed to get is remarkably high considering its been compressed by facebook. Almost all of mine get destroyed by their hosting which makes the images pretty much unusable.

She has also credited Mr Sayle later in the post, so she is aware of what should be done.

Last edited:
report her to her ISP, tell them its your image and shes nicked it, offer ot provide the original, they should take care of it, same with facebook.

Explain also that you would of been happy to provide the image FOC if it hadn't been for her attitude.

Not sure that's a good idea if he intends to take the matter further.

Depends on how he wants to deal with it, i get the impression he has little interest in proceeding to small claims or something similar.

He can also charge whatever he likes, just because he would of charged something doesn't mean he cant now charge something different.

Again, I'm really not bothered about getting paid here ... which makes it worse really! The whole issue started from an email in which I simply asked for credit. Adding my name below the photo would have taken care of it, but it seems that was too much to ask.

On another note the quality of the image she has managed to get is remarkably high considering its been compressed by facebook. Almost all of mine get destroyed by their hosting which makes the images pretty much unusable.

I resize my images to 604 on the long size before uploading to facebook - I don't know if that helps.

She has also credited Mr Sayle later in the post, so she is aware of what should be done.

I've seen her credit Matt Sayle in the past too so I really don't understand why she has such a problem with me. *boggle*

Her blog is on Wordpress I think and from their terms:

Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate a blog, comment on a blog, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:

* the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
* if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;

~~

Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Automattic asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by WordPress.com violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Automattic in accordance with Automattic’s Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA” http://automattic.com/dmca/) Policy. Automattic will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. In the case of a visitor who may infringe or repeatedly infringes the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Automattic or others, Automattic may, in its discretion, terminate or deny access to and use of the Website. In the case of such termination, Automattic will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Automattic.

#

I use this type of form quite frequently when I find my images on Photobucket, flickr etc

A response that rude deserves some firmer action in my opinion. If people can't even afford the time to be courteous then they need a bloody good wakeup call.

this... I don't care if you're 'not in it for the money', but she's been an arse to you. Invoice her. By recorded mail. Include printscreens of the image on her profile.

I resize my images to 604 on the long size before uploading to facebook - I don't know if that helps.
Image display size has gone up to 720px now, might want to change your preset :)

Typed a fair few replies to this thread, but can't get away from how can the obnoxious glory seeking little madam be taught a leson

Hi. I posted a comment on her page
If you indeed lifted that image of Sir S.M. without permission off Facebook, and then responded to the owner with “save your drama for somebody who knows who you are” I think you are well OUT OF ORDER.
Will it pass moderation?

there is no need to go getting involved in the issue, Bod has come on here to seek information and advice, I dont think hes come on here as a call to arms for the pitchfork crew

This HAS to result in an invoice. And because of the little tarts rudeness, stick a zero on the end.

This HAS to result in an invoice. And because of the little tarts rudeness, stick a zero on the end.

I agree .... Or you might as well just hand over all your photos to her.

Sorry, almost forgot ... She can steal them whenever she wants if you don't do anything ... In fact, we all can .. :D

Weve had a contact us about this, apparently the images have now been removed? While thats good, can we please NOT send rude emails and messages to her? Also, please can you try and moderate your language a little, while theiving is not on, I dont think we need to be stooping to the same levels by name calling.

not entirely beleivable, and a nice veiled threat in her reply, but as this is now sorted ill close. mind the doors please folk.s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back