storage of pictures

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys i may sound stupid (not be the first time ) but wheres the best place to store your pics i know mine are in folder but if i edit them Ive then got pics in the editing suite then if i want to post pics on here, i have to make them smaller, so them i end up with smaller size pics in my documents iam ending up with pics allover the place whats the best method please

Try a simple bit of file organisation.

Have a folder that contains your originals. Call it Orriginals.You can subdivide these by date of shoot or what the subject is, You have to choose so that you find then easily.

Now a second folder contains those images you've worked on . Call it Processed or something similar. You may want to change the file name to differentiate these from the originals. You could simply add -p to the name You can use the same directory structure as originals to make things easier.

Finally a folder called Web. This is where to put the images you've re sized from the processed folder to go on the web.

OK you've got lots of Photographs in a few folders, but at least you know what the original ( and you don't touch that). and what's not.

Every now and again have a tidy up and get rid of files you don't want in Processed and web, but keep the originals

thanks i cant get over how good this site is and its members wish id found you years ago

Let me take a wild stab in the dark here. You've got all your pictures on your C drive, in, let's say, a folder named "My Pictures". And you have no copies of these photos on another drive, or disc. Yes???

yes i got copies on disc and a separate hard drive what i want to know is should i just store my pics in the adobe library are keep them in my picture folders it just seems i have pics all over should i delete the ones ive made smaller to upload to here

I'm glad to read that. Too many people do exactly what I said and one day lose everything. But don't rely on the discs you've burned. Discs have been known to go bad over time and become unreadable. And I have personal experience here. If you want to burn them, make two copies and use two different brands. It's a good idea to have them on two physically different hard drives (not the same hard drive partitioned in to two sections). Finally, keep copies outside your residence - i.e garage, shed, family member etc, in case of fire or theft.

Back to your original question. There's no perfect method and you're going to have to find a way that you can live with. It evolves over time. In my case, I have a dedicated photos drive. Folders for all the places etc that I have photographed. I have a holidays folder and within, folders with all the places sorted by year. In each individual holiday folder are sub-folders by date, for each day. All the individual photos are renamed by date in the order, for example 2008 10 27 xxx where the 10 is the month and the 27 is the day, and xxx is each individual picture starting 001. This keeps all the pictures in the correct order. All my renaming is done very easily with ACDSee. If I edit a picture I will add an 02, 03 etc on the end of saved later versions.

The renaming strategy became important to me when my collection started running in to the tens of thousands, my camera had been round the clock, and I started producing pictures with the same file names as existing ones. It also makes it so much easier finding the folder where a particular picture belongs. Renaming is the first thing I do after transferring them off the card and deleting the obviously crap ones in a quick cull.

Like many people, I used to keep same-picture versions in different folders. A folder for raws, a folder for jpgs, and a folder for edited versions. It became too messy, especially when deleting a crap jpg and then finding the equivalent raw to delete. With them all in the same folder I can delete both side by side together.

As for downsizing for upload here, I have a folder named TP Upload which I copy the photo in to, and resize it (ACDSee again) in to another folder. I can't see any need to keep anything in the TP Upload folder after it has been uploaded. The original exists elsewhere, and the resized version can be remade in a minute if required. Nevertheless, as I'm not short of hard drive space, they remain for no good reason.

If you haven't got one yet, get yourself a good photo manager like ACDSee, for quick and simple viewing, organising, management of folders, photos, renaming, resizing etc. There are other programs that will be suggested, usually because they're free, and I've tried them all. ACDSee isn't perfect and I've had my ups and downs with it over the years, but it's the best one I've ever found.

thanks mister e your a top man i will just have to get our lass to do it shes the organized one around here lol thanks for taking the time to write all this. and anyway why you up at this time:)

You're welcome. I too often wonder what people are doing on this forum at unhealthy hours. I've just come off a night shift, albeit a bit early. I unwind before going to bed by having a nose around on here. Enough now. Time for bed :)

I use an excellent (free) programme called 'Allwaysync' which backs up automatically from one drive to another.

Therefore, after saving my keepers in a folder called 'best photos original' on one drive, the programme automatically checks the folder daily, and copies any new images to another folder on a separate drive called 'best photos copy'-therefore constantly keeping the folders in synch.

http://allwaysync.com/

Back