Storage upgrade suggestions

davekiddle

Like to feel muppets
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm currently running 2 x 6TB HDDs mirrored internally on my PC. I now need to increase capacity so was thinking of getting a two bay NAS and two higher capacity HDDs (say 10TB) and running one 6TB and one 10TB internally and backed up in the same configuration on the NAS.

Would that work, or is there a better solution?

And any suggestions on a decent NAS?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

This would work, I run as follows:-

Multiple Internal Drives in Main PC (no mirroring)
4 Bay Synology NAS (using Synology's SHR - a simple Raid type system that allows different sized drives)

Folders are automatically duplicated to NAS - which in turn holds two copies across the drives

Key folders are alo backed up to the cloud

My only word(s) of warning - Mirrored drives are not the same as backups. You probably already know this - please don't take offence !!!!

My only word(s) of warning - Mirrored drives are not the same as backups. You probably already know this - please don't take offence !!!!

This is very true but many NAS's will hold deleted files for a number of days before properly deleting them.

I also have a fireproof/waterproof USB drive that I make periodic snapshot backups onto of very key folders

I'd then add Backblaze to your NAS (if it's Synology then HyperBackup can do this) - you only pay for what you use at about $5 per month per Tb, and all I've done is set it to back up every day from midnight to 6am - this way I have a local copy with improved integrity (mirrored drive) and the off-site safety net too.

I'd then add Backblaze to your NAS (if it's Synology then HyperBackup can do this) - you only pay for what you use at about $5 per month per Tb, and all I've done is set it to back up every day from midnight to 6am - this way I have a local copy with improved integrity (mirrored drive) and the off-site safety net too.
I'd certainly agree with the recommendation for Backblaze - saved me when my 2Tb data drive died suddenly, and I realised I'd not tun the NAS backup for a couple of weeks.
Only issue is recovery of files can take a long time, as you do so via creating a restore zip file - which has a size limit - so I needed a lot of them to recover everything (I decided to pull back the whole dataset, to be sure I didn't miss anything, as I knew I'd gone back and edited a bunch of older files since the last NAS backup).
Note: I have Backblaze set to auto backup direct from my PC, so images get uploaded as soon as I import them.

Memo to self : Always do a local backup after adding / editing a batch of images!

I'd certainly agree with the recommendation for Backblaze - saved me when my 2Tb data drive died suddenly, and I realised I'd not tun the NAS backup for a couple of weeks.
Only issue is recovery of files can take a long time, as you do so via creating a restore zip file - which has a size limit - so I needed a lot of them to recover everything (I decided to pull back the whole dataset, to be sure I didn't miss anything, as I knew I'd gone back and edited a bunch of older files since the last NAS backup).
Note: I have Backblaze set to auto backup direct from my PC, so images get uploaded as soon as I import them.

Memo to self : Always do a local backup after adding / editing a batch of images!
Yea I hope I never have to use the backup as there's no doubt it'll be a pain to pull that much data, but if it's "a pain" vs "impossible", I'll take it.

Yea I hope I never have to use the backup as there's no doubt it'll be a pain to pull that much data, but if it's "a pain" vs "impossible", I'll take it.
Exactly - my file structure had images by year, then date, so I would make a recovery batch for a range of dates, then the next, etc, keeping a note of the last day I included in each batch, then set the first recovering, came back a while later set the next going, etc. Once I'd recovered the first set of batches, made the next set, and repeated until all done. Took a few days (as I was doing this as a 'spare moment' job, rather than sitting doing it as fast as possible), but in the end I had everything back just as it was, so worth the effort.

Back