strange effect with ID mk ii and 28-300

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
At a wedding on saturday and there seems to have been a problem with one of my body/lens combos.

Focus seems to have been missed on a couple of group shots, although the camera info is convinced the focus was spot on on the couple, and I was at f8, so DoF should have been ample.

Only seems to have lasted for a few shots and then corrected itself.

Anyone else seen anything similar, or have a clue what it might be?

:bang:

Whilst you obviously can't rule out a fault with the camera, were you shooting in Single Shot or Servo AF Mode?

Shooting in Single Shot Mode, once you half press the shutter, focus is locked. You only have to hold on to this half-pressed position a fraction too long for your own and/or the subject's movements to throw focus out despite the fact that focus lock will still be indicated in the viewfinder. It's definitely something to be aware of.

I mainly shoot in Servo mode for this very reason.

good point, I was in single shot mode, but since they were the usual group shots there wasn't any moving about. I'll have to have a play once I've finished my editing

Well group shots is a classic situation where you can get caught out by this. You focus on the group and get the composing done then if you're re-arranging the hiders and getting everyone to smile and look at the camera while you hold that half pressed position, it's ample time for sufficient movement to spoil your focus.

It's best to pre-focus, but just as you take the shot, take your finger completely off the shutter , then smoothly go back to the half pressed position just long enough to get focus confirmation, then take your shot straight away.

I hope it's something as daft as this and not a problem with your camera. (y)

me too!

just seems strange that I have perhaps half a dozen in a very small time window that are a bit dodgy in the middle of 10 hours of great shots

on the plus side, they are eminently fixable, and the bride was so beautiful that 'soft focus' works! :love:

Is your (28-300) lens the one with IS? Is it possible that the IS was not up-to-speed at the point of the shot?
I think I have had similar issues with my 28-135 IS, if I take a quick snap, there can be blur which looks like out-of-focus (as it is in all directions) because the IS has not fully stabilised.
Is any part of these shots in focus?

Did you have it on a tripod and with IS on?
If so, isnt there a situation where the IS tries to operate when on a tripod and throws everything out of focus slightly?

I could be wrong, just something i remember reading :shrug:

Is your (28-300) lens the one with IS? Is it possible that the IS was not up-to-speed at the point of the shot?
I think I have had similar issues with my 28-135 IS, if I take a quick snap, there can be blur which looks like out-of-focus (as it is in all directions) because the IS has not fully stabilised.
Is any part of these shots in focus?

It is the IS lens, I have a habit of waiting for the focus points to flash anyway, so it shouldn't have been a problem.

funnily enough the extremities of the shot are in focus hence why I'm confused, as it jumps from oof to in focus to oof in the space of 3 shots of the same group! ie without me making any changes

Did you have it on a tripod and with IS on?
If so, isnt there a situation where the IS tries to operate when on a tripod and throws everything out of focus slightly?

I could be wrong, just something i remember reading :shrug:

Thx but no, don't use a tripod at weddings, too much running about :LOL:

It is the IS lens, I have a habit of waiting for the focus points to flash anyway, so it shouldn't have been a problem.

funnily enough the extremities of the shot are in focus hence why I'm confused, as it jumps from oof to in focus to oof in the space of 3 shots of the same group! ie without me making any changes

I note you say focus points (plural). Could this be the problem - or typo mebbe? :)

This lens automatically detects no movement when tripod mounted to avoid IS errors anyway.

It is possible you tried to lock onto a low contrast spot and the focus has "jumped" to another spot? Did you notice the focus "hunting" during the day? Another reason could be you simply knocked the af off and onto manual. It may seem you have hit the focus but not on the right subject. I have a habit of doing this on my 70-200 so now I have a peice of tape covering the switch.

This lens automatically detects no movement when tripod mounted to avoid IS errors anyway.

Ah, well that wouldnt be the problem then, ill just shut up and leave :coat:

Back