Strange exposures on reel - 1st time developing

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
OK! Just finished home developing my first ever films and i feel like an alchemist lol!
I have cross processed E6 film with C41 chemicals and for the most part they have turned out all right - we will see when they have finished drying in a few hours.

Only problem is, looking down the strips of both reels, sections of 4/5 images are missing or partially missing. Not acidentally exposed, but just nothing there or only half a frame.

What have i done to cause this?

Again, once the film has dried, i will take a picture to show you. I am ready and raring to go and do this again, but i dont want to lose more pictures on the next films too. ( i only got about 15 shots from a 36 exposure film :( )

Here are a few examples (sorry for poor pics).

The missing images are clear, almost as if no shot was ever exposed. The camera (eos 500) auto winds on, but its always a very brief motor noise, i would have noticed it winding on for 4 or more frames.
Perhaps i messed up the developing chemicals or do you think it could be the camera shutter?

As you can see, many frames are missing in the strip.
3672411339_c976c83acf_o.jpg

These frames are half exposed. I think they were taken at 1/2000.
3672410691_0c6c18ec01_o.jpg

3672410109_b3c7733246_o.jpg

Also, out of interest, when you cross process E6 slide film with C41 chems, are the shots supposed to come out as negatives?

Yes, its supposed to come out negative when you x-process, the development is missing the reversal stage that gives you a positive image in E6.

As for the dodgy frames, unless you were using flash for those and scewed up the flash sync in a most stupendous manner (dude) then I'm afraid it is most likely to be a jammy shutter mechanism. You may find it will ease with use but if it doesn't then it's off to be repaired :(

Damn.

Ah well, i have just bought an EOS 30 for £59.99 through Ebay, so hopefully the shutter is in better condition on that!

This film malarkey is turning out to be expensive!

Yep, after checking a couple more films, the 500N definitely has a knackered shutter :(

The Eos 30 is going strong though - just looking forward tpo developing the first film.

I absolutely love the eye controlled focusing - i wish they had it in modern DSLRS - would make AI servo focusing so much easier, being able to change focus point on the fly!

Back