Strange White marks on Scanned Image

Name
adrian
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Could somebody with more knowledge than me with film processing offer an idea about what has caused the issue with the white marks in the sky. It happened or was noticeable with any sort of sky on the negative. Kodak Tri-x400 at box speed developed in Pyrocat HD for 15 mins, water stop bath and standard fixer at 5.30 mins. All at 20 deg. Thanks for any help in advance.

Untitled (42) copy by Adrian Jones, on Flickr

I don't know, but they look like soap bubbles? Did you mix up a new batch of final rinse with wetting agent?

It's too large for reticulation.

Curious that it is on the sky, hence the darkest part of the negative. If it is a bubble effect, then perhaps it might be more obvious on darker parts of the final image.

I think it is very obvious that I really don't know what I'm talking about. Let's hope someone more knowledgeable comes along in a moment. I shall be interested to hear the answer.

I don't know, but they look like soap bubbles? Did you mix up a new batch of final rinse with wetting agent?

It's too large for reticulation.

Curious that it is on the sky, hence the darkest part of the negative. If it is a bubble effect, then perhaps it might be more obvious on darker parts of the final image.

I think it is very obvious that I really don't know what I'm talking about. Let's hope someone more knowledgeable comes along in a moment. I shall be interested to hear the answer.
I did use a wetting agent I forgot to mention that in the original post, just my normal couple of drops really it didn't look foamy at all and strange it is only noticeable on the sky parts as well. I did think reticulation but as you say it looks too large. Appreciate your reply and taking the time to offer an explanation.

Only time I've had soemthing like that, it was bubbles at the top of the developer, I'd mixed it badly.

Only time I've had soemthing like that, it was bubbles at the top of the developer, I'd mixed it badly.
Thank you iam beginning to think this maybe an issue with the developer then, I only had one spool loaded on the spindle as well and iam wondering whether it had slipped too far up I normally use an empty spool to fill it out.

Last edited:
Thank you iam beginning to think this maybe an issue with the developer then, I only had one spool loaded on the spindle as well and iam wondering whether it had slipped to far up I normally use an empty spool to fill it out.
That sounds spot on.

I found this :

"I found that with Pyrocat HD there's a tendency for airbells if you are in a hard water area. Actually I found this happened with just plain tap water as well while I was living in Turkey on the Aegean coast, our apartment is maybe 200 yards from the sea and the tap water comes from a borehole and is undrinkable. I put some water in a Paterson tank with an empty reel and no amount of tapping etc would dislodge the air-bells."

There is more written there, the reference is --> https://www.5x4.co.uk/threads/pyrocat-hd-issues-with-tri-x.1464/

I found this :

"I found that with Pyrocat HD there's a tendency for airbells if you are in a hard water area. Actually I found this happened with just plain tap water as well while I was living in Turkey on the Aegean coast, our apartment is maybe 200 yards from the sea and the tap water comes from a borehole and is undrinkable. I put some water in a Paterson tank with an empty reel and no amount of tapping etc would dislodge the air-bells."

There is more written there, the reference is --> https://www.5x4.co.uk/threads/pyrocat-hd-issues-with-tri-x.1464/
Thank you I will have a read through this shortly, I appreciate the information :)

Hi

Could somebody with more knowledge than me with film processing offer an idea about what has caused the issue with the white marks in the sky. It happened or was noticeable with any sort of sky on the negative. Kodak Tri-x400 at box speed developed in Pyrocat HD for 15 mins, water stop bath and standard fixer at 5.30 mins. All at 20 deg. Thanks for any help in advance.

Untitled (42) copy by Adrian Jones, on Flickr
I do hope you have found a solution however I might add that it looks rather cool.

Perhaps you have finally proven that humanity is an experiment inside a bubble o_O

I do hope you have found a solution however I might add that it looks rather cool.

Perhaps you have finally proven that humanity is an experiment inside a bubble o_O
Yes I will have another go with another roll of film shortly and hopefully this roll will not be like the Quatermass experiment :)

Last edited:
So, I suppose it depends on the tank but nobody's mentioned fluid levels or the possibility that the reel rode up its spindle during agitation.
I've had bubbles but only right at the top 10% of the frame, nothing that messes half of it.
These days I use a big ole multi tank to bulk process and fill it past the correct level, even if it does get a bit frothy at the top, its not an issue..:)

edit- that'll teach me for not reading threads properly..lol

Last edited:
So, I suppose it depends on the tank but nobody's mentioned fluid levels or the possibility that the reel rode up its spindle during agitation.
I've had bubbles but only right at the top 10% of the frame, nothing that messes half of it.
These days I use a big ole multi tank to bulk process and fill it past the correct level, even if it does get a bit frothy at the top, its not an issue..:)
I mentioned the spool in about the sixth post down and I think that is what may have caused the issue for me as I only used one spool and I normally always use an additional empty one to prevent slippage. Thanks for taking the time to reply with your thoughts. I will try with some more Pyrocat Hd tomorrow and let everyone know how I got on.

Back