B&W Street Candids

Notice that the two gents in the last picture are smiling at you. Not everyone is intimidated by a photographer. You could have approached the two, struck up a bit of conversation (showing your smile all the while), and perhaps gotten some better shots. Don't be afraid of approaching people on the street, and asking if you could take a couple of pictures. Or, if you're the truly shy type, just show your camera, smile, and see what happens. If one or two say no, don't take it as rejection. just move on. There. I've spoken a lot here, but it usually works! I know this old scanned pic isn't real sharp, but it proves my point, I believe.

ChuckWorkman-net.jpg

Last edited:
Notice that the two gents in the last picture are smiling at you. Not everyone is intimidated by a photographer. You could have approached the two, struck up a bit of conversation (showing your smile all the while), and perhaps gotten some better shots. Don't be afraid of approaching people on the street, and asking if you could take a couple of pictures. Or, if you're the truly shy type, just show your camera, smile, and see what happens. If one or two say no, don't take it as rejection. just move on. There. I've spoken a lot here, but it usually works! I know this old scanned pic isn't real sharp, but it proves my point, I believe.

ChuckView attachment 253661

I am the shy type and I do find it difficult to approach strangers. I am definitely out of my comfort zone in trying street photography! I mainly shoot sports where you don't need to talk to people. I have been doing that for about ten years now and my pictures have improved greatly in that time. So obviously I need to get out more and practice.

I am the shy type and I do find it difficult to approach strangers.
The thing is that while it works for some it can go badly wrong for others. I've always preferred to stand off at a safe distance and capture my subjects unaware. Remember: there's no right or wrong, just what works for you...

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

Olympus E-PL5 8GB 03 P5130022.JPG

Looks like you have made a promising start. Get your confidence up and then look for the killer compositions and expressions. Signage is a great way to tell the story and I like that in your bus stop shots. Practise getting closer to your subjects and just go at a pace that suits you. I just started street about 6 weeks ago. It's a hard discipline but you can get great shots and the street is always there rain or shine.

Last edited:
The thing is that while it works for some it can go badly wrong for others. I've always preferred to stand off at a safe distance and capture my subjects unaware. Remember: there's no right or wrong, just what works for you...

View attachment 253679

View attachment 253680

View attachment 253682
I am certainly not the type to get into peoples faces like some prefer to do. I know confidence is key and that will come with more practice. I do like the style Sean Tucker. His style is more about shadows than people https://www.instagram.com/seantuck/?hl=en But some will say that is not true street photography. Thank you for your positive comments as it's a real help.

Looks like you have made a promising start. Get your confidence up and then look for the killer compositions and expressions. Signage is a great way to tell the story and I like that in your bus stop shots. Practise getting closer to your subjects and just go at a pace that suits you. I just started street about 6 weeks ago. It's a hard discipline but you can get great shots and the street is always there rain or shine.
I will have to get a little closer to my subjects as I bought a Fujifilm X_Pro2 with the 23mm f2 R WR lens today so there will be no excuse not to go out and build my confidence. I appreciate that you took time to post a comment, thanks.

I am very different than you and most. My preferred shot is defined this way - from close range (within 8 feet of the subject), in the face, no permission asked, with eye contact, candid street portraits. It may surprise you but, I have a very difficult time shooting from a distance. The way I shoot and what I shoot I do so simply because it makes me happiest. Dangerous? Yes. I have shot two drug buys on the street this way and the faces of many angry people. And, I survived. In learning to do this I had two cameras pulled out of my hand and thrown to the ground thus destroying them by irate subjects. And, I survived. I never speak to my subjects and thus am true to myself when doing true candid. Street photography can be a great learning experience. You can learn about people. You can learn about culture. You can learn about the great variety so many of us simply are blind to and take for granted. And, most of all, you can learn about yourself. For me, street was and remains a journey. A great adventure with many experiences along the way. Street photography is a craft you do alone. You teach yourself, and by that confront the obstacles to it within yourself. You can then negotiate around them or let them stop you. But, you will quickly learn that whatever stops you or makes you hesitate is no more than yourself. So you now know - street is far more than just about photography. The larger part, the most important part, you will not learn in photography school. The most important part is what it speaks of you. You may one day come to realize by it who you are in relation to the world around you. Good luck to you and yours (if you want to look at it that way).

Last edited:
in the face, no permission asked, with eye contact, candid street portraits.
There are countries where that could be regarded as an arrestable offence. Even in Britain it might be seen as harrasment so I certainly wouldn't do it. Still as I said: photographically there's no right or wrong way to go about this stuff.

There are countries where that could be regarded as an arrestable offence. Even in Britain it might be seen as harrasment so I certainly wouldn't do it. Still as I said: photographically there's no right or wrong way to go about this stuff.
Let's not be vague and pass around the usual nonsense about street. Be specific - what countries is this arrestable? Name them. There is often passed around such utter nonsense about doing street by those who are persuaded what cannot be done by their simple lack, and wrongly infect others with the same. Name the countries. And, if you mean Saudi Arabia or Iran or some such crazy conservative country like that I would ask who in this conversation is shooting there? Name the countries. Not 'might', but actually are. I will go first - Costa Rica. However there it is completely illegal to photograph anyone on the street without their permission, close up or at distance.

But, there is a good idea from Andrew. Always know the laws governing street photography in your location. For example in mine it is illegal to photograph through a residential window. But, anyone appearing on the street can be photographed at whatever distance. This is the United States.

Andrew's comment is an example of what I cautioned in my first comment. Street shooters run into all sorts of nay-sayers about all sorts of things. It is up to the street shooter whether he will accede or challenge the obstacle. Remember, you are only held back by you and your understanding. So, learn and learn it well - on the street the only person you can rely on is you. Only you.

Last edited:
I am very different than you and most. My preferred shot is defined this way - from close range (within 8 feet of the subject), in the face, no permission asked, with eye contact, candid street portraits. It may surprise you but, I have a very difficult time shooting from a distance. The way I shoot and what I shoot I do so simply because it makes me happiest. Dangerous? Yes. I have shot two drug buys on the street this way and the faces of many angry people. And, I survived. In learning to do this I had two cameras pulled out of my hand and thrown to the ground thus destroying them by irate subjects. And, I survived. I never speak to my subjects and thus am true to myself when doing true candid. Street photography can be a great learning experience. You can learn about people. You can learn about culture. You can learn about the great variety so many of us simply are blind to and take for granted. And, most of all, you can learn about yourself. For me, street was and remains a journey. A great adventure with many experiences along the way. Street photography is a craft you do alone. You teach yourself, and by that confront the obstacles to it within yourself. You can then negotiate around them or let them stop you. But, you will quickly learn that whatever stops you or makes you hesitate is no more than yourself. So you now know - street is far more than just about photography. The larger part, the most important part, you will not learn in photography school. The most important part is what it speaks of you. You may one day come to realize by it who you are in relation to the world around you. Good luck to you and yours (if you want to look at it that way).

Have you an Instagram profile? Or similar? Bruce Gilden is someone I admire immensely, purely for the images he creates

There is a big difference between street 'candid' photography and street 'portrait' photography.

The former, i'm 50/50 on. I'll take a few images that I think I quite like and maybe to me, they 'tell a story', but then I see so many other opportunities where I just haven't got the balls to get the shot. I can live with that and maybe gain confidence over time to not worry so much about confrontation. But due to my last day out in London when I was approached (see an old thread of mine), it may be a while before it is regained.

That said, on the other side of the coin, and the portrait side of things, i've tried this only on my last venture out, asked two people and both said yes, one I stayed and chatted with for 15 minutes and he was so interesting.

I would say, just get confident enough to ask - people won't be aggressive, they'll either say yes or no, then it's just down t you getting the shots you want (if portraits are your thing)

The photos you displayed here with this thread, I think, are quite good. And, the way you shot them seems perfectly suited to your personality and your sort of photography. So, all taken together it all is fine. I hope you continue to enjoy doing this sort of photography.

Yesterday, I offered my sort of street photography and what it meant to learn it. I only expressed it because I wanted to show you that there are other ways of doing street and for different purposes. I was not trying to recruit you to my side nor suggest what you did was lesser. But, my remarks to Andrew about his vague warning should not be over looked. To people who do not do street street seems a poor application of photography. Many, particularly subjects, will try to persuade you that you are wrong. But, you are not wrong. That said, many nevertheless consider doing street by its various techniques and to its various purposes to be anti-social behavior. So, here is a little secret for you - it is anti-social behavior. Because to do it you have to push the limits of 'good' social behavior. You have to do something which you know disturbs others. Yes, you could ask permission. And, that is perfectly all right. Many do. But, many do not because we would rather get a 'natural' or 'real' scene instead of a stilted one.

For the sort of street photography that your photos express about you you have nothing more to learn. All you need to do now is walk about and repeat yourself. Good shooting.

but then I see so many other opportunities where I just haven't got the balls to get the shot. I can live with that and maybe gain confidence over time to not worry so much about confrontation. But due to my last day out in London when I was approached (see an old thread of mine), it may be a while before it is regained.

Respectfully, I would like to address what you so honestly express in this statement. You haven't asked for help. Maybe because you have not thought to do so. So, I would like to offer you something. First, you should not be afraid to ask for help. Or maybe you think that the fear you feel is unique. It is not. Everyone who does street is afraid. It is how that is dealt with that varies. Some never go 'there' again. Others see it as a 'lesson' that they must think through before trying again. The experience you had is a lesson you can learn from. I would suggest you take it that way. What did you do to 'create' the incident? Shoot a photo? No that was not it. What you did was not anticipate the reaction by first knowing that there would be a reaction. Now you know the reaction. So change the circumstance of the situation. For example, don't hold your camera at your eye when shooting? That attracts attention. After the shoot keep walking. Walk in a direction away from the subject. Walk deliberately. Listen. If you hear someone calling after you, go deaf and keep walking. Get lost in the crowd. Don't shoot where you are alone with the subject. Rather shoot where there are lots of people. In my culture there is an unstated prohibition to display anger in the presence of large numbers of people. Also, people will not display anger unless they are certain you have photographed them. So don't hold the camera at your eye. With more people around the subject is likely not to go off. So, now as you can see you can change the situation. Remember, you are in control of everything before, during, and after the shot. Give the subject the chance to take control at any time and he will. Then all you are, predictably, is his victim.

Today, most digital photography, when viewed is judged technically above all else. For example - is the subject centered, are all the vertical lines parallel, is the horizon line level, is the lighting correct, etc. But, in street the street moves way to fast to give you the time to get that all correct before taking the shot. If you are a technical photographer then you are going to have real trouble dealing with the variety of shooting techniques you must learn to employ in a variety of situations. Your goal is to get the shot; not get the shot perfectly correct technically. It is hard to display your work in an open forum or gallery because most people judge it technically. But, among your street shooting peers they will understand imperfect photography. A genuine street photographer knows what is and what is not possible to do consistently. There are many shooters who claim to be street shooters who produce fine technical photographs. But, we know to do so you can't be doing genuine street. Street photographs are usually always technically imperfect. They have to be. The street moves very very fast. There is no time unless you are shooting with a long lens and cropping, employing friends to model the scene, or heavily photoshoping the photograph. So, to learn and do street you have to do a lot. You have to know yourself. You have to anticipate the variety of reactions and behaviors of others. You have to plan and employ a strategy when things go south. And, you have to learn a variety of shooting techniques that will keep you safe. There is a very important saying in street photography: "Your shooting technique with either keep you safe or will get you killed."

Good shooting.

The photos you displayed here with this thread, I think, are quite good. And, the way you shot them seems perfectly suited to your personality and your sort of photography. So, all taken together it all is fine. I hope you continue to enjoy doing this sort of photography.

Yesterday, I offered my sort of street photography and what it meant to learn it. I only expressed it because I wanted to show you that there are other ways of doing street and for different purposes. I was not trying to recruit you to my side nor suggest what you did was lesser. But, my remarks to Andrew about his vague warning should not be over looked. To people who do not do street street seems a poor application of photography. Many, particularly subjects, will try to persuade you that you are wrong. But, you are not wrong. That said, many nevertheless consider doing street by its various techniques and to its various purposes to be anti-social behavior. So, here is a little secret for you - it is anti-social behavior. Because to do it you have to push the limits of 'good' social behavior. You have to do something which you know disturbs others. Yes, you could ask permission. And, that is perfectly all right. Many do. But, many do not because we would rather get a 'natural' or 'real' scene instead of a stilted one.

For the sort of street photography that your photos express about you you have nothing more to learn. All you need to do now is walk about and repeat yourself. Good shooting.

Since my original post I have bought a Fujifilm X-Pro 2 camera with the 23mm f2 R WR lens and I have been out and about everyday as I have been on holiday. One thing I have noticed is I need to react quicker when I see something I like. I have missed so many opportunities but I suppose that is the joy of street photography! With this new camera it has forced me into getting closer. Today our street market was held and in a tight crowded place nobody really cared as they are just going about their shopping. I didn't get much I was happy with but I did approach a stall holder and ask to take his picture and on the plus side I got a free curry out of it :) I enjoyed my morning and I fully understand how addictive in terms of getting a great street shot. I did ask someone else and they wanted to smile so I just moved on. I will keep on going out and practice and hopefully not worry of what might happen.

I did ask the guy and just asked him to ignore me which seems to work fine?

Good for you. Thank you for your report back. Worrying will do you no good. But, I would suggest you think about what you are doing or are going to do, and consciously experiment and then evaluate the results. This way you will be 'working' to improve your shooting and the results. Soon with practice and conscious effort you will notice the improvement. Street can become terribly boring if you are just snapping away without thought. Thought and effort will teach you to 'see' so you see and get the nice shots you missed before. And, the day will come when you do this shot above without asking. Good shooting.

Last edited:
@1dmouse At this stage I really wouldn't stress too much about it. Just get used to walking around the streets and taking photos of anything that catches your eye whilst trying to build up your confidence (which will come naturally over time).

Also realise that most of the time in Street Photography nothing much will be happening and that the majority of your photos will be rubbish. When you do see something interesting though learn to work a scene and take multiple photos. This is a great example of that
https://www.magnumphotos.com/theory-and-practice/contact-sheet-richard-kalvar-woman-window/

It's a good start, anything that gets you out photographing people will help you get over your fear.
Good to get in a little closer but I'm not a fan of the 'in your face' aggressive type of photography that some seem to relish ... for me it's far more likely to antagonise your subject(s) and create problems.
That said, there are times when in close is appropriate and that would be at 'events' in the street ... could be carnival, protest, civil disobedience etc where people do not see a photographer as a threat e.g.

Extinction Rebellion - Day 3
by Roger, on Flickr

Street candids are a good way to start but as you progress try to incorporate the background to add interest to the scene e.g.

Reminiscing
by Roger, on Flickr

or an amusing situation e.g.

Steak-Out
by Roger, on Flickr

Neither does B&W necessarily make for a good 'street' photo, using colour can often (but not always) bring out a different aspect or add to the scene.
Most importantly enjoy what you are doing and don't set out to annoy your subjects, that benefits no one.

It's a good start, anything that gets you out photographing people will help you get over your fear.
Good to get in a little closer but I'm not a fan of the 'in your face' aggressive type of photography that some seem to relish ... for me it's far more likely to antagonise your subject(s) and create problems.
That said, there are times when in close is appropriate and that would be at 'events' in the street ... could be carnival, protest, civil disobedience etc where people do not see a photographer as a threat e.g.

Extinction Rebellion - Day 3
by Roger, on Flickr

Street candids are a good way to start but as you progress try to incorporate the background to add interest to the scene e.g.

Reminiscing
by Roger, on Flickr

or an amusing situation e.g.

Steak-Out
by Roger, on Flickr

Neither does B&W necessarily make for a good 'street' photo, using colour can often (but not always) bring out a different aspect or add to the scene.
Most importantly enjoy what you are doing and don't set out to annoy your subjects, that benefits no one.

I have enjoyed wandering around my home town and it has opened my eyes to things I haven't noticed before.
Those are three great pictures which all tell a story. Thanks for posting them.

Back