Street photography / morality other photographers

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I don't normally shoot 'street ' but I'm in Paris and enjoying photographing the tourists photographing each other.

Whilst at the Trocadero I also saw several 'pro' photo shoots, which I shot but which somehow felt a little more 'intrusive' as if I was nicking a photographers set up / model etc.

What does the hive mind of TP think?

Is it OK to photograph anything in public including other photographers work?

Overall, yes. Most things in the public domain are fair game IMO as long as you are not getting in the way or causing distress (or for example doing something distasteful). Nicking a shot goes on all the time at weddings!

Is it OK to photograph anything in public including other photographers work?

Legally yes - and morally fine too if you're shooting it to show what's going on, if you're shooting the model only and then made out it was your photo though :bat:

Paris is great for Street isn't it, I loved it their earlier this year - have fun :)

Dave

Legally yes - and morally fine too if you're shooting it to show what's going on, if you're shooting the model only and then made out it was your photo though :bat:

Paris is great for Street isn't it, I loved it their earlier this year - have fun :)

Dave

I don't ordinarily do 'street' but have decided this year we'll shoot more whilst we're travelling, I was 'shooting the shooting' but there's a couple of cracking images of the model (only seen back of camera so far)

France has limited freedom of panorama, so beware of certain large background element, for example someone posing with an illuminated Eiffel Tower.

Last edited:
France has limited freedom of panorama, so beware of certain large background element, for example someone posing with an illuminated Eiffel Tower.
I've seen in the photographic press 'limitations' on photography of the Eiffel Tower etc. But I have to say they're 'commercial' considerations. I saw hundreds of thousands of images of the tower being shot yesterday, at 10.30 last night you had to fight through crowds of photographers to get a clear view.

Of course all those Nigerians selling plastic Eiffel Towers must all have licensed properly too.

This story is one of those where the nuance is lost and the reality couldn't be more different to what you might have read.

Last edited:
I think some people are missing the subject line..

I find myself in simmilar positions on both sides of the fence..

I can spend time setting up a shot and it really winds me up when someone else takes the same picture.. the cheek of the other photographer ranges from jumping in with "can i just grab one for twitter before you get yours" to sneaky between my legs or over my shoulders.... If I catch them i give a dirty look.. theres nothing much more you can do as its generally the customer thats being photogrpahed so hard to say anyhting in front of them..

the flip side being I have gone to jobs where there are other photogrphers.. just last week i was doing a job for a sports company and the local paper turned up wanting a group shot.. i wanted a group shot for the customer so i had to explain to him that we couldnt do two different ones and i would jump in on his.. he was OK .. I felt really bad :( I ask and still feel bad about it

the flip side being I have gone to jobs where there are other photogrphers.. just last week i was doing a job for a sports company and the local paper turned up wanting a group shot.. i wanted a group shot for the customer so i had to explain to him that we couldnt do two different ones and i would jump in on his.. he was OK .. I felt really bad :( I ask and still feel bad about it

Nah, that's totally fine. You are employed by the company as a PR officer ( photographer) and you are acting as the facilitator/conduit for the press. I did it loads when I was a staff PR/Press photographer.

IDK, if you are nicking another photographer's model you do get some advantages that are not "earned" as such... maybe makeup/wardrobe and possibly posing, but not much other than that. And the "posing" is more likely to be a negative as it isn't likely to be best suited for your perspective. So I don't see how it's much different from happening upon a well dressed/made up person at random... that's pretty much what happened.

Now, if you crawl over their shoulder, impose upon the shoot, or if there is significant constant lighting being used that you can take advantage of, then I would say the shot is "less yours."

If they choose to hold the shoot in a public place then I can't see any objection. If they wanted to keep it exclusive then a studio is the place.
If you then use the shots for commercial gain then that is debateable, but I doubt you would.
Enjoy your holiday.

How would you feel if someone took photos after you spent the time setting up? What would you be comfortable with them getting shots of against what you wouldn't like them to get from your effort.

That's why I asked...

Different photographers have different opinions. I really wouldn't have cared had I been the photographer, unless the other guy was about to pretend it was his shoot.

If the subject matter was a building or static, then I wouldn't have a problem with that, but if it was a model or something that is directed by the photographer then to me it would seem wrong. It would be his/her photo, because they have done all the leg work, arranged everything, got the model, got the pose etc.

Personally if it were me I would be taking a photo of the whole set-up, ie the shoot is my subject, not just the model. But then I would also get no satisfaction out of grabbing a shot of just the model in a shoot arranged by someone else, other people might think differently if all they are interested in is easy praise.

But you did it anyway....:D
:D
Street photography isn't my thing and it still feels 'odd', shooting the model felt a little more odd, but if I'd have followed my instinct I'd have shot nothing o_O

Reactions: BBR
I helped shoot a wedding last weekend. It was hard to get some shots with all the phones up and about. In the end, the paid photographer still gets paid. And if the photo you take is for your use and fun, go for it. As someone else said, if it was meant to be exclusive they'd be in a studio and not outdoors where everybody and their dog can take photos of the situation/model.

I think shooting a photoshoot can be made interesting depending on how you shoot it - perhaps include the pro shooter in the frame so you are telling a story about what you saw?
I think it's a bit like shooting a busker - simply taking a photo of a busker is very very boring but I would look to include some of the things that are going on in the scene such as people watching the busker and their expressions.

I think shooting a photoshoot can be made interesting depending on how you shoot it - perhaps include the pro shooter in the frame so you are telling a story about what you saw?

640px-EH1211384_Royal_Naval_College_Queen_Mary%27s_Quarter_04.JPG

?

:)

Phil, shooting someone else's model during a public photo shoot? Very tempting I know...I would chat to them first and expect a polite "no", but maybe you get lucky.

Back