Street Photography Series Explores the Urge to Take Photos of Strangers

thats why the term that people know as Street Photography isn't what is meant. What people who do street photography are actually aiming for is "Social Reportage" - telling a story (or letting the viewer create the story, from an image of people interacting in a public environment (one of the most well known of these is Cartier-Bresson.
l
A street scene without people is effectively urban landscape photography.
Agreed.

The only additional point I'd make is that firing a flash gun in someone's face, without permission, may be more correctly described as "Antisocial Reportage". I think this may be why some "street photographers" don't like the idea of "candid photography", as practiced by Cartier-Bresson and so many other photographers. If you wish to illustrate how people interact socially, the last thing you want to do is intrude on them...

Young woman talking to man on bench Sidwell Street Exeter P113 0937.JPG

CAgreed.

The only additional point I'd make is that firing a flash gun in someone's face, without permission, may be more correctly described as "Antisocial Reportage". I think this may be why some "street photographers" don't like the idea of "candid photography", as practiced by Cartier-Bresson and so many other photographers. If you wish to illustrate how people interact socially, the last thing you want to do is intrude on them...

Cartier-Bresson didn't use flash. I think you must mean Bruce Gilden who was notorious for in the face flash. Cartier-Bresson got close to subjects without intruding and if he did intrude he would have no doubt given a big smile and a compliment. Some intrusion is part of the territory of street photography if you want to get to good photos.

Your photo above demonstrates another example of being too safe by not getting close enough, then cropping in to make it look closer. It doesn't make an uncompelling photo anymore interesting though.

Cartier-Bresson accused of using flash in the face? Now I have heard it all.

A street photography session might produce one or two keepers, And loads of mediocre or poor ones. The best thing to do with them is learn from them, not show them around.

Cartier-Bresson didn't use flash.
I never said he did, as you'd have realised if you had read the post properly.
Some intrusion is part of the territory of street photography if you want to get to good photos.
You may think that - I don't.
Your photo above demonstrates another example of being too safe by not getting close enough, then cropping in to make it look closer.
It's more or less the full frame, so once again you show yourself to be talking through an orifice far from your mouth.
It doesn't make an uncompelling photo anymore interesting though.
Your opinion is your opinion. I doubt you wish to hear my opinion on your pictures.

I shall leave you with a proper street photograph, being a photograph of a street, taken in a street. It's even got a man in it, and a dog...

Church Street Kenton FZ82 P1010335.JPG

I'm not a street photographer by the agreed definition but I find it hugely engaging when done well.

I love Alan Schaller's work and I'm enjoying his self deprecating presentation style on YouTube while simultaneously learning a lot and being inspired to give it a go myself one day.

The street photographers who select truly engaging subjects or work to a concept to convey story, placement and humanity stand out far more to me in this sphere but that's true of many sub genres.

Some intrusion is part of the territory of street photography if you want to get to good photos.
I guess thats a style. Personally i'm with @AndrewFlannigan on this one, i prefer subjects just going about their business rather than noticing the camera as usually they then play to the camera rather than simply being "natural"
I love Alan Schaller's work and I'm enjoying his self deprecating presentation style on YouTube while simultaneously learning a lot and being inspired to give it a go myself one day.
Agreed. he does capture great street contrast

guess thats a style. Personally i'm with @AndrewFlannigan on this one, i prefer subjects just going about their business rather than noticing the camera as usually they then play to the camera rather than simply being "natural"
It's not mutually exclusive to be close and capture candid moments, in fact it's much easier to get those moments when you're much closer.. The choice of a telephoto lens if often down to the fear of the photographer and everything else is an excuse for that.

It's not mutually exclusive to be close and capture candid moments, in fact it's much easier to get those moments when you're much closer.. The choice of a telephoto lens if often down to the fear of the photographer and everything else is an excuse for that.
not at all, sometimes the use of a telephoto can create subject>background separation if thats the image you're going for.

It’s such a shame that the ‘Street’ genre stirs up such contention, (not just here but across the Internet).
Opinions are polarised about what can and can’t be called ‘Street’. “Don’t do this”, “Don’t do that” - other genres just don’t seem to generate such angst.
We have a myriad of opinions on “Street” here but sadly this isn’t reflected in contributions to the “Street” Photos section of the forum. :(
Less argument, more photos!

It’s such a shame that the ‘Street’ genre stirs up such contention, (not just here but across the Internet).
Opinions are polarised about what can and can’t be called ‘Street’. “Don’t do this”, “Don’t do that” - other genres just don’t seem to generate such angst.
We have a myriad of opinions on “Street” here but sadly this isn’t reflected in contributions to the “Street” Photos section of the forum. :(
Less argument, more photos !
for me its the balance between what you can do legally and what you can do sensibly.

for me its the balance between what you can do legally and what you can do sensibly.
I think that the primary rule for any human interaction is to be polite.

Unfortunately, there are too many people who think others should be polite to them but they need not be polite to others. :(

I've only ever been accused of being impolite in my street photography once, it was by a police officer - the one on the right.

The Grumpy Policeman
by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

He insisted that I should have asked his permission first ... his colleagues walked off while he was taking me to task.

I've only ever been accused of being impolite in my street photography once, it was by a police officer - the one on the right.

The Grumpy Policeman by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

He insisted that I should have asked his permission first ... his colleagues walked off while he was taking me to task.
did you ask him under what was this requirement to ask him. Sounds like a bit of sabre rattling.

I think that the primary rule for any human interaction is to be polite.

Unfortunately, there are too many people who think others should be polite to them but they need not be polite to others. :(
It would be polite to accept that there are other strongly held views, and just move on…

did you ask him under what was this requirement to ask him. Sounds like a bit of sabre rattling.
I just told him that I didn't need him to pose!.

No, I'd love to hear it. Give it your best shot. How about this one to start with?
I'm not going to play that very foolish and above all, immature game. :rolleyes:

Ok I will. Personally it does nothing as it doesn't really invoke any story or wonderment as to whats happening. its an urban portrait
You are much more polite than I would have been! ;)

It is just possible that the written words above may be misconstrued, so I would like to just drop into this thread the request that all critique and opinion be expressed constructively and politely please. @AndrewFlannigan your comments are sometimes taken too literally and can be considered unhelpful, even though I know by and large you are not being intentionally argumentative. So let's keep this thread positive and instructive please everyone.

Ok I will. Personally it does nothing as it doesn't really invoke any story or wonderment as to whats happening. its an urban portrait

No that's absolutely fine it does nothing for you. Most of my photos on my Flickr page aren't urban portraits, several that are juxtapositions and some that I think invoke a story. Just so you know, this picture is completely candid and I was stood about 1 and a half metres in front of her using just a 28mm lens. I didn't invade her personal space, I didn't bruise the scene and she didn't notice me until after I took the shot and she smiled at me. I also used flash.

You are much more polite than I would have been! ;)

I gave you the opportunity to critique but you backed down. If you were photographing the same subject of my picture, you'd have no doubt used something like a 150 to 300mm lens from across the other side of the street or from the top of a bus because you're fearful of being close to your subjects. Hiding and sniping is worse than being close, open and honest.

I hope my photo at least shows you don't have get right up in someone's face and upset people to get a nice close up picture. On the other hand, I'm wondering how the mother and her daughter in your photo would feel if they found out later that you'd sniped a picture of them from inside the top of a bus. Perhaps they'd think it's a bit creepy.

Back