Critique Street Photos

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I have accrued quite a few what I would call "Street" or "Urban" photographs over the last few weeks these ones are from Malta, thought I would pop a selection of them in this thread for some cc. These are my rejects for the theme "Street" in POTY14.:)
Taken with Canon AE-1 + Canon 28mm Lens
Standing Development in Rodinal 1-100
Ilford HP5 Plus and HP4 Plus Film
I pushed part of both the films hence why the standing development.

Thanks for looking.
Carol

View attachment 24368 View attachment 24369 View attachment 24370 View attachment 24371 View attachment 24372

Last edited:
Thanks guys, your comments are appreciated.

The first one doesn't work for me - it's too busy, there's too much going on particularly as the people are blurred. IMO it would have worked better if the people were in focus or you'd waited until the chap in the middle had cleared the gap to provide a distinct separation between the groups. Greater depth-of-field might have worked better.

2 and 3 are good shots, 5 has some nice tones and detail and I really like the framing. 4 is very good, I really like the blurring of the person though it's a shame the car was where it was as it distracts from the central point of attention. Maybe a wider aperture would have helped, though I appreciate that you may not have had that option with your lens.

Overall, a good collection of individual images, thanks for sharing :)

Oh, I like the last one a lot, too. The guy hanging out his laundry makes it.

IMHO 'street' needs people doing something interesting as well as the scene and composition. On that basis, the last is just brilliant! Also like the legs very much, despite the car (which was a shame). As Dean said, for me the first is too busy, and in the second nothing much is happening, while the 3rd, while nice, has absolutely nothing happening ;) .

Thanks ChrisR and the others who have commented, I personally like "Walk on By" (the legs) but my favourite has got to be "Wash Day", the last one in my set. Slowly getting the hang of street and getting a little less self conscious! Lol

Back