Beginner Strobist Information needed, modifiers etc.

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I've decided to take the plunge into photography once again after leaving it previously when i was in school.

I've decided to go for a Sony setup (cue the hate) a6000, 18-105mm f4 for now. looking to at 35mm or 50mm 1.8's down the line

My plan is to do some home studio style shooting with a model and the usual beginner technical work like water drops etc to get used to the Camera, Lighting and Editing once again.

I've gone for a 2 flash setup, main flash to be a Nissin di700a with an Air trigger to allow OCF with HSS and TTL. I have also a yongnuo 560 III as a slave.

-

Now you guys know what i'll be shooting with I was really wanting to ask what modifiers you guys would recommend whether it be umbrealla, softbox (square or octo) or others such as garyfong style diffusers or snoots.

You might want to ask a mod to move this to the 'Talk Lighting & Studio' sub forum.

Gary Fong diffusers aren't very useful in a controlled environment - there's nearly always a better way of doing the same job.
A medium softbox with a grid is a good and flexible starting point. @Phil V often recommends an 80x80cm jobbie by Neewer, I think.
Umbrellas can be tricky to control in a small space.

Cinefoil or black craft foam is handy for masking off the softbox to e.g. turn it into a strip box.

Snoots - pringles tubes - are useful, as are 5-in-1 reflectors.

Back