struggling today

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm struggling a bit in the snow today. I took literally about 400 photos and got about three ok ones including this blue tit.:shake: Do you ever feel like you just can't get it right? lately I do that a fair bit.

My biggest woe was trying to birds with dark heads and black eyes like coal tits. Either the snow was blown or the heads were just black sillouehettes . Any tips? Maybe I should post one of the 398 duff ones instead of the ok one :D

al

PB267974,m_filtered by alexsally52, on Flickr

ok I'll be brave, heres one of the 99%
Its noisy I know iso 1600 or 800 But the eye is nearly lost in the darks and the snow nearly blown in the background:eek::thinking:
feel free to tear my technique to bits;)

PB267896.jpg
[/IMG]

Don't expect too much Alex, theres not much wrong with the whites and you can easily pp a bit of a catchlight into the birds eye.
Best regards, Mike.

I really like that picture of the blue tit. Really different.

No snow down here yet though :(

There is not really much wrong with this exposure wise Alex. If anything I would just try and crop a bit more, to bring the subject in closer. The eye on this Coal tit are set in the dark markings of the bird, so unless you were close up and you had a decent light falling onto the subject you will not want to give it too much catchlight.

Last edited:
Birds in the snow are always difficult. If the Coal Tit was larger in the frame it would be easier to get some detail from the bird. When shooting in snow check your histogram and make sure it is as far over to the right with out showing clipping. Also if possible shoot in RAW so that you have a bit leeway in case you do over expose.

Dai

Back