Studio Lens question

Name
Have a guess.....
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,
It's probably been asked 100 times before but what lens is good for studio shoots? Do I go wide angle/standard?
I currently own a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 but I'm planning on hiring the lens for a shoot I have on the 30th Jan.

Any help is appreciated

Andy

Totally depends on

A) how much space you have
B) what body you have (crop or FF)
C) head & shoulders or full length

However, on a crop body, 50 - 85mm is fairly good, longer if you have the room.

Anything wider than 35mm will start to show distortion and the subject/model will look "fatter".

Personally, on a crop body I like 70 - 85mm, and will often use my 70-200 if I have the space.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

Andy I see you are shooting with a DX body.

I used to use an 18-70 Nikon lens on DX in the studio and then made the switch to the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 lens last year which is a cracker, but very heavy. I do have a range of lens's that I like to use, but mid range zoom would be a good start.

If you intend to stick with DX and not go down the FX route have a look at the 17-55 f2.8 s/h at around £600 for a good one. If you want to go FF look at trying the 24-70 f2.8 I just love using it on my D200 and S5 Pro.

thanks for the replies guys. seems to me that the general feeling is to go for something which is up to 85mm.... will let you know the outcome (y)

my 24-70L behaves very nicely with white background work so if you plan on renting not buying go with one as it gives you a few options

david1701 said:
my 24-70L behaves very nicely with white background work so if you plan on renting not buying go with one as it gives you a few options

My initial plan is to rent the lens, then buy if its to my liking

david1701 said:
absolute sex on ff

So I've heard. I'm thinking of hiring the 17-55 f2.8 since it's a DX lens so it's probably better suited for the crop sensor

Am I correct in my thinking (still learning lighting etc), if I put a 2x tc on, if the need be, that would make the lens f5.6... would it be possible to match the aperture with the lighting?

yeah, but why on earth would you use a TC in the studio?

also I don't think you can to the canon 24-70 dunno about the nikon one also I dunno what it does to the mfd

david1701 said:
yeah, but why on earth would you use a TC in the studio?

I dunno, was thinking out loud :LOL:
Would be easier to just move wouldn't it :bang:

I can be a bit daft sometimes lol

Last edited:
david1701 said:
lol

though if you ever have metering issues just work from the lcd

Cheers. Still got tons to try to learn but only 2 weeks to learn it in.
Thanks again for all your help, owe you a :beer:

I dunno, was thinking out loud :LOL:
Would be easier to just move wouldn't it :bang:

I can be a bit daft sometimes lol

Andy,

:LOL: Moving forward would be the better option :D

I have shot in the studio with the 17-55 on my 7D and it works a treat. This set was shot at the Lencarta Training Day using that set up.

The 17-55mm on a crop body is equivalent to the 24-70 on FF. However I would always make sure I have something with additional focal length as it saves sticking the lens in the subjects face :D

Steve

why? what happens in two weeks? Please don't tell me it's a paid shoot!

hahaha nooooooo I know my limits :LOL:
it's "judgement day"...basically put what I've learnt into practice

I've seen 70-200L's to 28mm's used - it's really up to you :)

'xactly.

Frank Doorhof for example is a big fan of the wide/super wide (35 on MF - um, "equivalent" to 18 on DX???). In a small studio you'll often find me with my back pushed right against the back wall trying to use a 150 on MF for full length.

There are no rules. But longer is often easier - as long as you can get far enough back.

Andy also have a look at the Nikon 28-70 f2.8, built like a tank, known as the beast and will also work on FF, so covering both options then. Probably pick up a good copy for the same price as 17-55mm.

Adam_K said:
Andy also have a look at the Nikon 28-70 f2.8, built like a tank, known as the beast and will also work on FF, so covering both options then. Probably pick up a good copy for the same price as 17-55mm.

Cheers Adam (y)
Another lens to add to the list of review write ups :)

I noticed that, just funds holding me back atm :(

just remember - long lens will make for flattering subjects because it compresses them so they look thin. wide lenses will create the opposite (doesnt matter if you are on a crop body or not)
i tend to use anything from 50 upwards. 70-200 being my favorite on a canon

Just ordered a 24-70 f2.8 :)
Getting nervous now :LOL:

just remember - long lens will make for flattering subjects because it compresses them so they look thin. wide lenses will create the opposite (doesnt matter if you are on a crop body or not)
i tend to use anything from 50 upwards. 70-200 being my favorite on a canon

I think it's the other way around. Too long a lens, from a little distance, gives you chubby faces. Wide angles, used close, just make you look wierd with a long nose!

I think it's the other way around. Too long a lens, from a little distance, gives you chubby faces. Wide angles, used close, just make you look wierd with a long nose!
thanks for the tip (y)
well done! better start working out! that lens aint called a 'brick' for nothing! ;)
its one lens thats on my list!
I heard its a bit of a hefty bugger...can't be any worse than some of the lenses I have already (namely Sigma 100-300 f4)... or at least I hope not

well judgment day has come and now passed, had a great time...pics will soon follow :)

Technically it wasn't a studio as there wasn't a studio. Pics are in the nude and glamour section.
Look for NSFW: Chloe Page

(Can't link as on my phone)

Back